Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

MRI result on lumbar spine

I recently got MRI of my lumbar spine the findings were:L1,2.3, are normal with no bulge or herniation. Other than mild asymmetric right sided face arthropathy at L3,4 upper levels demonstrate no additional arthropathy or stenosis. At L4,5 this a mild disc bulging impinging on the cal sac. There is also degenerative face arthropathy with face hypertrophy. There is a degree of foraminal stenosis. At L5-S1 there is a posterior bulge minimal protrusion impinging on the central epidural structures. No definite arthropathy is seen with definite stenosis. Impression: No suspicion of neoplastic disease. There is degeneration of the L4 L5 and L5 Sl discs. A bulge at :4. :5 and a bulge or protrusion at l5-sl is suggested. There is some facet arthropathy at L4-L5 where there is also mil foraminal narrowing. Mild right sided face arthopathy at L3-L4. I had cervical spine problems had surgery removed disc and bulging at c4.5 level. is this a normal MRI of the lumbar spine. Although there is degenerative signal loss of the L4-5 and L5-S1 discs. Is this normal MRI? What is signal loss and what do L4-5 L5-S1 control in the body? Should i see a doctor about this MRI since I have cervical spine injury with Cervical Radiculopathy. It hurts when I sit too long or when stand too long the is pain in horrible. I am 46 years old, I had a job where I did heavy lifting all day and cervical spine surgery in summer (With a bulging disc at c4, 5  level) What is degenerative signal
loss of the L4-5 and L5-S1 discs? I have sexual dysfunction and incontinence. I am not working now due cervical spine problems. Is t his a normal  Lumbar spine MRI? My doctor called and told me to go see a orthopedic//neurosurgeon doctor immediately after looking at the result call me and said I need to see a spine specialist. However, I had fusion done on my neck just a few months ago. Thank you

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

No. This is not a normal MRI. There are abnormal changes, which the radiologist spelled out in her report.

I would think that the Doctor who ordered the MRI would have reviewed the findings in light of your clinical situation and taken appropriate action.

I would suggest you follow your doctors advice and consult with neurosurgeon in the near future. If you liked the surgeon who worked on your neck she could probably assist you with this issue also.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick thank you for your response I made an appointment with a neurosurgeon. My Doctor that order the MRI called me about the MRI results and she is concern about the signal loss at L 4 and L 5 level and disc protrusion at L5 S1 disc. The neurosurgeon office stated if I have any more problem before my appointment I can go to the Emergency Room. Dr. Rick do protrusion and herniation disc mean the same I often seen them use interchangeably. I also have Cervical Radiculopathy can u get in the lumbar spine area also. Thank you Dr. Rick I am in pain a lot.

While they are not exactly the same the term is used interchangeably by many radiologists.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response and you gave a great answer.

Glad I could help.

Have a good week :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick I saw the neurosurgeon he said that the no nerve compression on the cord and it was nothing to worry about should i get a second opinion?

That is excellent news. I do not think a second opinion is needed. I would take her advice and not worry about it :)

Have a Happy Halloween!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I go to orthopedic doctor and maybe I can wear a cast to help push the disc back into place. You are third doctor that said I need second opinion but this is abnormal MRI! Thank you Happy Halloween

My pleasure.

Glad I could help you.