Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My dad is 85 years old and has CLL. He has just finished his

My dad is 85 years old and has CLL. He has just finished his 2nd bout of chemo in 5 years. He did loose quite a bit of weight. The only thing besides loss of appitite right now is that he is urinating a lot. He is up 3 times nightly or more peeing. This has been going on for a couple of months and no one seems to be addressing it. I don't believe its a urinating track infection as his lung was drained recently and he ended up with an infection and was given an intervenious antibiotic in the hospital for a week. He has no health issues. His heart was checked recently as a possible cause for the fluid on his lungs but all is fine there. Any answers or advice would be helpful.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 10 months ago.
Hello
What is his serum creatinine
And bun?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Creatinine is 1.27

Bun Cre Ratio is 12

This looks a little high
There should be a reference range
High normal is usually 1.1
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Creatine range is .8 - 1.3 So it looks like hes in that range, and Bun doesn't say what the range is. So what does this mean?

OK
He is still normal.
However, if he is frail, this can indicate renal insufficiency.
Do you have a GFR there
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am writing because he keeps telling me he's loosing weight because he's peeing more than he's eating and drinking. He has been eating well. Certainly not undernourished. Friday night he spaced out and had no knowledge of what happened for a short period of time. He didn't pass out, he was just not with it. The ambulance came and they took him to ER Lab tests said all looked pretty good as they did a chest exray EKG and Puse OX and blood work. In the blood work the only things that stood out were: protein is 6.3 - low, glucose 109, Ast aminotransferase 53 (h), RBC low at 4.23, Hemoglobin-12.6 and hematocrit 38.5. WHAT IS GFR?

It is near the creatinine..it is calculate...the glomerular filtration rate.

Was that a fasting blood sugar? glucose?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

cREATINE kINASE IS 36 and the range is 39-308. I don't see any GFR on the blood work page. And he is frail right now.

OK
His glucose is in the pre diabetic range.
He probably has some kidney damage.
A microalbumin test on a urine sample would show this.

There can also be damage from the chemo. As far as the kidneys.

Frequent urination can also be from an enlarged prostate gland. Also very easy to check.

I would talk to his internal medicine doctor about this right away and arrange for the tests above, along with a hemoglobin A1C which will give a 3 month summary of his blood sugars.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your help. I will let you know with a follow up.

You are welcome.
Please do not forget a positive rating..this is the only way we are paid by ja.
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc