Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Hi, Over the last 4 months I have been experiencing chest pan along with dizziness. Thi

Over the last 4 months I have been experiencing chest pan along with dizziness. This had led to several 'panic attacks' (adrenaline rush to chest during driving).

Recently the chest pain has lasted for 5 days. My GP has diagnosed it as anxiety however I'm not at all convinced. I've been prescribed Citalopram which has helped somewhat until recently.

I've had an ECG around 4 months ago - all clear. Blood tests seemed to be fine,however I have another appointment booked in this week to test thyroid.

My GP doesn't really seem to be listening or consider exploring other possible causes of this pain, which is really debilitating - affecting work, family and social life.
I'm considering going private.
My question is - what other possible causes should I explore?

Thanks
Aaron
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 8 months ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

what is your age? any history of heart problems?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message

Customer:

I'm 29 with no history of heart problems. I've had several ECG tests over the last few years and all have been okay

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is good that you are considering going for further investigations

Dr. P. Jyoti :

heart problems need to be ruled out first

Dr. P. Jyoti :

an important test for you is a stress test

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this tests the heart under stress and identifies any heart problems at an early stage

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a halter monitor to test for any arrhythmia also needs to be considered

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss this with your private doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these tests will help to arrive at the root of the problem

Dr. P. Jyoti :

of course, it is very likely that there is no specific heart problem and this is just anxiety

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in that case anti anxiety drugs is the solution

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss this also with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

through this you can arrive at a complete diagnosis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

All the signs point to anxiety, but I really don't think it's due to that - are there any other causes other than heart problems? It seems to come and go without reason.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

some other causes also need to be considered

Dr. P. Jyoti :

though not at all likely

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss these with your doctor:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

epileptic fits, pheochromocytoma, thyroid,

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these may also cause sudden episodes of dizziness and weakness

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also electrolyte imbalance, BPPV, Meniere's disease, other causes of vertigo

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss all these causes with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Thanks.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Thanks. It's obviously quite a complex problem, I'll discuss these with my doctor. If I need to see a specialist who should I ask to see?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

an internal medicine specialist would be the best. If necessary they can refer you to other specialists. discuss all these conditions with your doctor.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Hello Aaron,

How are you doing now? Did you see your doctor? I would like to follow up with you on this, do write back to me when you have seen your doctor.

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly

I would be honored to be included in your list.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.