Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

buying a new car. have occasional trouble with lower back pain;

buying a new car. have occasional trouble with lower back pain; when I do exercises usually fine. Will have 2 two-hour drives/week. What should I consider? Particularly looking at Prius and Ford C-Max. Any problem with those? How should I position my feet relative to my hips & buttocks when I sit in a car?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 5 months ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Jeff,

Those are all excellent questions. And the only way to answer them is for you to take a Prius and a Ford C-Max for a long test drive and see how your back feels when you adjust the seat for maximum comfort.

It might, actually, be best if you could find a friend who owns the cars you are interested in purchasing and take them on a trip and see how your back feels.

There is no right or wrong way to position your feet relative to my hips & buttocks when I sit in a car as every person is different.

That being said, my Uncle has Prius, drives it about 20K mile/yr and loves it. No problems, lots of room and gets almost 60 MPG.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Dr. Rick. Good general advice. I have no medical issues other than occasional back pain. 55 year old male, 6'1, 220 lbs, so I am overweight. Not an athlete, but not a couch potato. Jog/walk/bike 3x/week

I can't induce the occasion other than stopping my exercises for several days. I'm guessing there are some general principles; I hear bucket seats are bad because buttocks is lower than knees.

Do you have any more concrete advice? Web site reference(s)?

Thank you,

--jeff

Jeff,

That is not really correct as many cars with electric adjustable seat allow you to lift your knees, put your butt down etc....so you can adjust the seat seven ways from Sunday (not sure what that really means....) for your comfort.

I do not believe there is any more concrete advice out there...just get a fancy 6way+ electric seat that generally fits you well when you sit in it and you should be fine.

Enjoy your new car :)

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Seven%20Ways%20'Till%20Sunday

Thank you!