Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I have had intensely painful lips for about 2 months. I was

I have had intensely painful lips for about 2 months. I was taking antibiotics for a persistent UTI around when the symptoms started. my lips feel as though they are burning, and also stinging like tiny needles. mostly they are strangely smooth although occasionally they blister but not very often. there is a tiny white line on the bottom of my upper lip. a dermatologist prescribed me magic mouthwash and a steroid ointment which seemed to make things worse. i then was given nystatin which improved things a little but not entirely. I have been off of that for 3 days and it is hard to talk or even eat. I haven't changed anything that could be an allergy

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I like the spelling of your name, by the way :)

Unfortunately, your picture is out of focus and I can not make out any details :(

It sounds like you are having some sort of allergic reaction.

At this point, stop putting anything on your lips at all...including lipstick. Clean them only with water. You may have to put up with the painful feelings for a bit but do your best to get through it.

If things do not improve, at least somewhat, in 3 days, then you consult an allergist. If she doesn't find anything then there may be some sort of psychological component to your discomfort and you might consider talking to a psychologist or a psychiatrist in order to leave no stone unturned.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me a “10” rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS