Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

Last week I had extreme pain (possibly a cold sore) behind

Last week I had extreme pain (possibly a cold sore) behind one of my molars in the gum where my wisdom tooth was previously. It made the area above my temple on the right side extremely sensitive to the touch, and it stretched into my scalp. I had a bad headache. Now, the pain in my gum is gone, however the area above my temple going in a straight line through my scalp (the side of my head), is still sensitive and I feel an occasional sharp pain (not constant, it is like a random quick jolt of pain) on that "line" in my scalp. Do you know what this could be?
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
As both gum area and temple region is supplied by same nerve supply sometime some residual infection under gums irritate nerve and someone can feel sharp pain and and sensitivity in respective area.So hopefully soon you will be ok antinflammatory medicine like Tab Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for three days will help you out.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX luck.
Please leave positive feedback for me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so if it was a cold sore causing all that pain on my gum, this type of infection can affect a nerve in my temple and scalp? Would a cold sore infection be considered a viral infection?

Yes it is considered as a viral infection and usually heals within few days but in case of pain as you have antinflammatory medications are advised.
Positive feedback will be appreciated.