Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

what will happen If I dont have a bowel movement for 12 d

what will happen If I don't have a bowel movement for 12 days

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : Do you have abdominal pain?? Nausea??
Anthony Bray, MD : What medicines are you taking??
Anthony Bray, MD : what is your diet like.??? If for example you had a very low residue diet ( example would be soup, jello of foods that were completely absorbed) then you would not have bowel movements with normal frequency ...
Anthony Bray, MD : Similarly if fasting then you would not have BM but the reason in this circumstance would not be constipation ...
Anthony Bray, MD : presuming normal diet then this degree of constipation is very concerning -- it could be caused by bowel obstruction / fecal impaction/ pseudo- obstruction...
Anthony Bray, MD : the latter cases above would be serious and these in need of immediate medical attention -- ER would be advisable if the cases above applied to you....
Customer:

I do not have any pain, however I feel bloated and have been passing gas. I am taking Ativan for anxiety. I haven['t been eating any different. Just a normal diet.

Anthony Bray, MD : Abdominal distention / abdominal pain / discomfort / sense of fullness would be symptoms if concern here...
Customer:

Should I go to the emergency room ?

Anthony Bray, MD : Ok -- since you have normal diet -- no pain but feel bloated--- passing gas ( that is a good sign) then I would recommend trying combination of Miralax 1 capful plus 8 ounces of water for next 1 to 5 days to get results ( stop this treatment if you begin to have diarrhea) I would try 2 Fleet's enemas tonight or tomorrow as well...
Anthony Bray, MD : Enemas may help if you have fecal impaction of the lower colon ....
Anthony Bray, MD : this would often be effective but you need to watch symptoms carefully and go to ER if you have no results soon -- if you have abdominal pain increase to point which you can't sleep -- then go to ER!!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes you may need to go to ER.... If you have high degree of concern for possible obstruction then this would need evaluation and treatment right away ....
Anthony Bray, MD : Lack of pain seems a bit reassuring to a point...
Anthony Bray, MD : your not having BM for 12 days plus feeling bloated does sound like at least severe constipation...
Anthony Bray, MD : So tonight into tomorrow it may be possible for you to try enemas plus Miralax and see what results you get...
Anthony Bray, MD : the more of sense if discomfort you have then you are advised to go ahead to ER....
Anthony Bray, MD : I think a fecal impaction would be higher probability given your overall picture... This would likely prove difficult for you to clear on your own... ER may get some abdominal X-rays to check for bowel gas pattern and look for signs if obstruction ...
Anthony Bray, MD : The ER could treat you to help alleviate the problem if you had fecal impaction...
Anthony Bray, MD : I think follow up with a gastroenterologist to consult with regard to this would be best considering the long episode of constipation...
Anthony Bray, MD : after this is cleared you want to prevent future problems....
Anthony Bray, MD : Narcotic pain medicines may cause constipation but the Ativan would not be expected to cause this problem for you...
Anthony Bray, MD : prevention if constipation generally includes drinking plenty of fluids ( 8 ounces of fluid every two hours while you are awake would be good ) also daily walks helps normal bowel function. Daily stool softener ( options if Surfak 260mg/ day or Colace or Docusate 100- 200mg/ day or mineral oil 1 tablespoon / day) would be options for you...
Customer:

Thanks! I will heed your advise.( My computer is screwing up. )