Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

I have for the first time in my life had to take narcotics

I have for the first time in my life had to take narcotics for a possibly nerve-related pain from my back, encompassing the right anus, vaginal wall, buttock down to the foot. My internist prescribed oxycodone 5mg, increased to 7.5mg which I took 4 times a day. I then went to a pain ctr and was given 5mg of the extended release oxycodone every 12 hrs and 5 mg tablets, taken twice a day if needed. Can you pls tell me how these two prescriptions compare medically?
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your question.

I can understand your concern, and anxiety related to dosage of Oxycodone. I would explain you in simpler terms-

Through extended release, tablet medicine dissolve over time in order to be released slower and steadier into the bloodstream,
This further leads to the advantage of being taken at less frequent intervals than immediate-release (IR) formulations of the same drug.

Immediate-release tablets, which was earlier prescribed by your internist, works only for short duration, and one has to take it in regular intervals, of say 4 to 6 hours. This is the reason, you have to take it four times a day. It also cause long lasting side effects and is not suitable for long term usage.

The dosage of oxycodone for immediate release is 5 to 15 milligrams (mg) every 4 to 6 hours as needed.

By Extended release Oxycodone, The tablet is given every 12 hours.
By this way, the drug is dissolved over time and is released slower and steadier into the bloodstream.

By extended release, tablet at dosage of 5 mg every 12 hours, you would be benefited, and would get less side effects, and also get more relief for continuous 24 hours.
I would agree, and suggest you to continue with prescription as suggested by pain ctr.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a fair amount of anxiety about this. I have celiac disease, interstitial cystitis and thyroiditis, so I am very careful about what I take, either over the counter or prescribed. I have actually had the pain for 8 years, for the most part the core issue is undiagnosed, but since a colon resection in July, it has returned with a vengeance accompanied by symptoms of levator ani. I have been in bed for almost four months, and was first given hydrocodone which did little for the pain and the idea of possible liver complications worried me. But I have a business, a husband, grandchildren, and I was so tired of not having a life that I agreed to try the oxycodone, which I did for a week at the 7.5 mg. dosage. I have now been on the extended release for a week and am not experiencing the same relief. The doctor at the pain management clinic did tell me that it would take 72 hours to take full effect. The pain is significant enough that the short-duration dose only took away about 70% of the pain, but I have spent 8 years with a pain level of about a 3 - 4 daily, so that I can live with. Now with the extended-release at 5mg. I am experiencing only about 50% pain relief which leaves me tired and back in bed at about 4 p.m. each day. I am also concerned as my colo-rectal surgeon wants me to begin Yoga, I need to have physical therapy for the levator ani, and with a 50% pain level, those are not things I can undertake. Was my doctor at the pain clinic starting me out conservatively compared to my previous dosage? Or are they essentially equal, and I should be experiencing the same relief? I am asking a doctor from outside my sphere of treatment because I was so intimidated by my treatment at the pain clinic. I understand that the government is regulating these prescriptions more closely, but as a conservative woman who has never taken drugs I was astounded to be treated like a drug addict, and basically I felt that when I signed their forms I was committing myself to being labeled as a drug addict forever. I had to submit a urine sample on my first visit, and was asked twice by the assistant if I had taken anything else, valium, flexorell, etc besides the oxycodone that day. And I caught her looking over my shoulder into my purse when I opened it to pay! I don't know, Dr. Robert, if I am afraid to ask them these same questions, or tell them how I feel, maybe this clinic is not the right fit for me!

Dear Customer,
Thanks for asking follow up question. I am happy to answer you further.

I understand your concern and worry related to Oxycodone and other medical problems. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Extended relief, tablets, may take more time for work.
You have been earlier prescribed, with Immediate-release tablets which start its action very fast.

Extended relief, tablets works slowly, and remain in bloodstream for long time. You need to have some more patience, Your doctor at pain ctr was right, and has correctly suggested with extended release tablets, these are usually prescribed for long term usage.

You should take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like - Short wave diathermy, Infra red , Wax therapy , these will help you a lot.
Also Stretching exercises for your low back can help you feel better and may help relieve nerve root compression.

Please follow the prescription pills, in dosage as advised by doctor in pain ctr. It may take few more days, for symptoms to get resolve.
Please avoid stress. Yoga and meditation including deep breathing would also be helpful.

I wish for your good health and take care.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions