Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

I get a pain around the cartilage at the front of my ear, sometimes

I get a pain around the cartilage at the front of my ear, sometimes I can massage it and it will go ..other times I suffer for days in pain from simply moving my jaw, at those times, I can't lay on that side to sleep whilst living on panadol for pain, I have even tried ice packs for the cramping which sometimes also helps

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : The location of your pain at the front edge of the ear cartilage sounds suspicious for TMJ syndrome ...
Anthony Bray, MD : TMJ syndrome is inflammation of the hinge joint of the jaw....
Anthony Bray, MD : you may hold the area in front of your mouth and try opening and closing your mouth... You should feel movement at this joint... It may hurt here with opening mouth wide or with chewing... This would be clues to support TMJ as your cause...
Anthony Bray, MD : if TMJ is your cause then you may benefit to try an anti-inflammatory medicine such as Aleve 2 tablets twice a day with food--- ( careful to watch for GI irritation --- don't take if you have active ulcer disease or kidney disease )
Anthony Bray, MD : avoid chewing hard to chew foods for next several weeks...
Anthony Bray, MD : avoid chewing gum....
Anthony Bray, MD : you may benefit to consult ENT specialist on this or dentist ( dental guard to wear at night helps people when problem is due to grinding teeth at night....
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this information is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions!
Anthony Bray, MD : If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback . Thank you and best regards !
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD : BTW -- the ice packs are useful as these will reduce inflammation and distract pain--- just avoid prolonged skin contact greater than 15 minutes with anything ice cold --- don't want to add frostbite like problem !!

it doesnt hurt at the moment, I however have the feeling of pressure like an earache before these spasms happen, which is when if I am able get the ice pack on to it.. Im not really sure about aleve,I have been told not to take ibruprofen based pills because of my blood pressure pills

I have also been conscious of the fact that I clench my jaw alot and I do chew gum and eat nuts daily

Hello again!

Well you could take Tylenol for some pain relief and this should not adversely affect your blood pressure. It does sound like TMJ syndrome .... Try to stop the gum chewing and that would be step in right direction...

Consult your doctor before taking anti- inflammatory medicine . It may not be impossible for you to take NSAID but might be accompanied by a slight addition of diuretic such as low dose HCTZ for example ... Your doctor would be aware of your renal function too which has impact on whether NSAID is OK or not as well...

Further check up with ENT I think would help you to know your options ...

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have further questions!!

Best regards!!

Anthony Bray MD

This is Dr. Anthony Bray from We spoke the other day about your probable TMJ pain. Thank you for using our service! I hope that you found it helpful! Thank you too for your positive feedback!

If you have further medical / health questions in the future I welcome you back! If you wish to contact me specifically then you may do that by going to my profile page---

From that page you may type question or comment in box on that page and it would be directed to me. ( if this should be at a time I was offline then another expert might pick up the question and answer you... We don't want people waiting too long to get questions answered! )

I hope that you feel better soon! Thank you again and best regards to you!

Anthony Bray MD