Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

I have multiple nodules along muscles and tendons in my legs

I have multiple nodules along muscles and tendons in my legs and arms. I have an undetermined auto immune syndrome. I also have elevated blood calcium. What can these nodules be. ?They are multiplying and seem to be enlarging rapidly now. Thank you, Tina
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

These nodules can be formed by the calcium deposition.

Dr. D.J. :

Another possibility can be the scar tissue or fibrous tissue related.

Dr. D.J. :

Autoimmune disorder can cause reactions underlying skin layers resulting in nodules.

Dr. D.J. :

Painful enlarging nodules can be removed surgically if needed.

Dr. D.J. :

Calcium level should be controlled with fosamax or other similar medications.

Dr. D.J. :

If you have parathyroid adenoma or enlarged parathyroid, that can be removed surgically.

Customer:

I do have osteoporosis, my mother had a parathyroid adenoma and adenomas in the muscle of the uterus which were proven on her autopsy. I have had "nodules of indetermined origin in my lungs 10 years ago. I dso have sjogrens syndrome (ssb positive. Could this be lupus? pos ana, rheumatoid, and lots of cancer..sis died of ca of the colon at 60, other sister had bilateral breast ca at 43, family with ovarian ca. . and i have multiple small cysts in my thyroid. tina

Dr. D.J. :

ok

Dr. D.J. :

that is a complex situation.

Dr. D.J. :

However, these nodules can also caused by any connective tissue disorder.

Dr. D.J. :

so lupus is still a possibility.

Dr. D.J. :

Parathyroid excess can cause osteoporosis by the way.

Customer:

I forgot to add that i have erossive lichen planus of the mouth and on my arms and legs that have apparently caused 5 squamous cell carcinoma that had to be removed. I have also been diagnoded on biopsy with interstitial granuloma annulare. Needless to say I am really concerned and tired.

Dr. D.J. :

Yes indeed concerning.

Dr. D.J. :

I will suggest a biopsy of one of these nodules.

Dr. D.J. :

Sometimes, this can be sarcoma.

Dr. D.J. :

Does not sound like that but should be considered given your history.

Customer:

My dermatologist sent me to a plastic surgeon to do a biopsy or multiplying arms nodules, originally thought to be a single lipoma and to biopsy 4 nodules in my leg. The surgeon was not happy to do this, said he wpuild only biopsy one of the 4 o5 5 nodules in 1/2 inch area opf my arm. Refused to b iopsy my leg nodules as asked by the dermatologis and said to ignore them...you are 73 years old and you will have lumps and bumps.

Dr. D.J. :

I do not think that is appropriate.

Dr. D.J. :

Age should not be the criteria.

Dr. D.J. :

Better to go to a different surgeon in that case.

Dr. D.J. :

A biopsy is required of both arm and leg nodules.

Dr. D.J. :

Agree with your dermatologist.

Customer:

I really thank you... auto immune disorders are so complex. My grand children had basal cells at age 11...one had shingles at age 12 and my daughter had shingles at age 18 at college. I havew been diagnosed with shingles 2 different times by two different doctors. I also have had multiple episodes of what appeared to be "bites" but in retrospet I do not this they were bites at all. If I wasw a "crock" I sure could not fake the lab tests and I have multiple picture of my skin lesions.

Dr. D.J. :

I believe you fully and what you are going through.

Dr. D.J. :

This is not simple and not every one walks into doctor's office with your kind of complex conditions.

Dr. D.J. :

That is why, you will need look for different surgical opinion since your current surgeon is not taking you seriously.

Dr. D.J. :

Best wishes,

Customer:

Thank you. You have been very helpful and re-assuring that I really need to get to the bottom of this. I am very satisfied with your kindness and support. Tina

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome Tina

Dr. D.J. :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent ( smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD