How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11105
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Dr. Thomas, I have had to stop eating completely.

This answer was rated:

Dear Dr. Thomas,

I have had to stop eating completely. The pain after a bowel movement is just too terrible even with the many 4 mg Dilaudid I take as they take time to work. I am going to a gastroenterologist, a new one, the third one, and have typed out a paper for him to read. 1. Please read it (please see below) and please answer the question in bold ie what are your thoughts on this. Thank you. And please tell me if there are any tests I should ask him to do. Around here one has to beg for tests even though I am self pay. 2. Please read it as if I were being seen by you and I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. I cannot live the rest of my life (I'm 55) taking pain medication to eat and then stronger pain medication because I have had a bowel movement. And after eating last Friday the pain was bad, the next morning because I ate it caused a bowel movement and the pain was so terrible I haven't eaten since. Thank you. Craig

It is too long for here. I will add it as another question. I am so grateful and beyond discouraged and desperate.
Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

As you know, dilaudid can cause problems with BMs, perhaps this is part of the problem....

As you know, you can not just stop eating.

Unfortunately, your paper did not attach....

Since this has obviously been going on for some time, and your on your third GI doctor, perhaps you should consider going to a University Teaching hospital.

Why a University Hospital? Because at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr. Rick,

The second gastroenterologist said to "go to John Hopkins or Boston, where they see strange diseases. I'll try. Thank you. Craig


There is no rating symbol on this page!?! Perhaps if you replied with any words then there would be one.





I'm sorry for the technical glitch. Let me know if you are still having problems getting a ratings page to show up.

I wish you the very best.

Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, MD and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you