Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Earlier this year (past winter) I was having trouble falling

Earlier this year (past winter) I was having trouble falling and staying asleep. My doctor wrote a script for BUPROPION SR 150 MG.
Within a week I was sleeping better and not tired during the day- ( I had been and am being treated for a very low Thyroid level and other Endocrine system issues- I take Propecia, Androgel 1.64 and Levothyroxine 100 MCG= which stopped my hair from falling out and gave me the energy I had before my endocrine system shut down= there is a family history on both sides of Thyroid issues- I am now 45 years old.) I recently had to take a work physical=every two years= and I passed ALL parts except that the company doctor is questioning my use of Bupropion= as - "it is only used for severe depression" and even went so far as to require a written record from my doctor of my use of Bupropion-even asking if I had been diagnosed under the "DSM IV"- and if he believed I was 'suicidal'. (I have NEVER had any of those issues.)
Naturally I was shocked and now worried (because of the extreme number of questions asked about my use of the drug) and the fact that my mental stability is being called into question by the way in which the questions are posed in the- work response form- provided for my doctor to answer and me to return to my employer before I can be considered "medically cleared" to work.
What positive attributes, -besides 'being a powerful anti-depressant' can Bupropion also be used for that don't end up as labeling me a possible suicide risk and danger to my co-workers etc.? I have had NO depression from use of the drug nor anxiety, suicidal thoughts etc..
This drug -combined with the multiple endocrine system drugs have given me back the energy, etc. I had prior to my Endocrine system collapse. Can you list other benefits for 'middle-aged men' from using this drug?-as it seems the doctor contracted has already made up his mind I am depressed and a risk at my job. Thank you much for your time in responding.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

Bupropion can be used for attention deficit disorder in adults as well.

Customer:

I do not suffer from ADD.

Dr. D.J. :

You do not but that is one of the recognized indications or FDA approved indication.

Dr. D.J. :

Smoking cessation is another approved use of bupropion.

Dr. D.J. :

These are the only approved uses for bupropion besides severe depression.

Customer:

I am not a smoker= Is there anything positive about the drug besides being used as an anti-depressant?

Dr. D.J. :

Weight loss is the only other indication.

Dr. D.J. :

That means this can be used in obese people to lose weight.

Customer:

I do not like the assumption from the company doctor that I am a = nut or risk to my co-workers.

Dr. D.J. :

that is surprising.

Dr. D.J. :

no, taking bupropion does not mean that.

Customer:

The endocrine system collapse did cause me to gain over 50 pounds in less than 3 months..i have lost and kept off over 30 of those pounds since taking this drug.

Dr. D.J. :

Bupropion behaves like amphetamines--so this is mainly used to provide energy and also prevent day time sleeping.

Dr. D.J. :

ok so you can use it for weight loss.

Dr. D.J. :

that is the indication you should consider to mention on the letter.

Dr. D.J. :

smoking would have been another strong indication.

Dr. D.J. :

Nowadays, bupropion is commonly used for weight loss indication.

Dr. D.J. :

I do not see any problem with that.

Customer:

Thank YOU= that is what my doctor said this past year. So I am assuming if he writes this as a response- (I know this is hypothetical) that I more than likely will be 'cleared' by this doctor as being 'suicidal, aggressive, etc.'

Dr. D.J. :

Yes of course

Dr. D.J. :

Otherwise, you have a valid legal case against your company

Customer:

Thank you very much for your time and responses= this is a huge 'load' off of my mind as in this economy jobs are hard to come by and infinitely more if someone who I have never met-= nor has there been a work or any complaint against me or my behavior in the past 16 years where I work ( or at any time ever before)= starts out Assuming I am a 'mental case'.

Dr. D.J. :

Very welcome

Dr. D.J. :

do not worry.

Dr. D.J. :

you are doing great with all these endocrinal conditions.

Dr. D.J. :

You need bupropion for proper functioning and not for 'mental' problem.

Dr. D.J. :

Maintaining weight is part of staying healthy.

Customer:

AGAIN THANKS EVER SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSE AND HELP- I WILL SLEEP TONIGHT:) LOL!

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr. D.J. :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent ( smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

Thank you= I believe you have very adequately answered my questions and= given me the response I was too stressed to recall. Have a great night= Much appreciated!

Dr. D.J. :

Have great night!

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD