Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I have a bad dry cough thats tearing up my throat, my nose

I have a bad dry cough thats tearing up my throat, my nose is runny and I have to blow it or do the sniffles a good bit, nut no drainage and my sinus caps on the side of my nose are swollen and i dont have a headache, i was prescribed promethazineDM and it did not for the cough since it basically an OTC drug, and didnt stop my cough, antibiotics aren't helping bc i think its viral, but want to know for sure and get an opinion about medicine
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
Dry cough along with runny nose in the absence of headache and sinus problem highly likely because of either allergy or viral infection.
Antibiotics are not effective against this type of cough.I will suggest you to avoid cold water,cola drinks and exposure to cold air.Take Tab Cetrizine 10 mg once at bed time for 5 to 7 days along with cough syrup.Saline gargles will help you out to overcome tearing sensation in throat.Get steam inhalation and hot beverages like coffee,tea it will help you out.
Hopefully with above mentioned remides and drugs you will gradually feel better.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX luck.
Please leave positive feedback for me.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The OTC cough syrups aren't working if you didn't read it correctly, i tried delsym the strongest OTC cough syrup, the nyquil, then a prescription of promethazineDM not with codeine, it has dextromethorphan, the same as delsym, so i will need something stronger, what or which one do you think works the best for cough and to soothe my throat? promethazine/codeine, tussinex, tussicaps or any others

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your for follow up question...
In my opinion and practice Hydrocodone cough syrup is believed to be the strongest acting medicine for a bad cough.It comes with name of Tussionex and is said to be the strongest narcotic cough syrup. The medication contains hydrocodone and chlorpheniramine.Tou should get it.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX you good health.
Positive feedback will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information, I'm not sure if they will prescribe that down here in Ole Miss, so would you have any info on how i could maybe get the doctor to prescribe it to me, because my throat is so raw from coughing it hurts to talk, swallow and even worse when i have to cough. If you have anything that could help me to say or can help please do i would really appreciate it because i have 3 test next week and i need to start feeling better.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
Yes when you go to GP ask him that you have used all over the counter medication along with antibiotics and Promethazine DM so its time for strongest cough syrup.
Regards.
Positive feedback will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know How long you have to wait between prescriptions since i just got the Promethazine DM, so wouldn't they make me wait or what? Because i just got that on the 21st so isnt there a time limit btween stuff like that or would they just give it to me because i'll be going to the health center here at school and i got the other from my hometown doctor, so would that play a factor that i just got it, or would they not check insurance?

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
I think after history of severe cough and using lot of cough syrup with no relief is enough for prescription and dr should prescribe it.
Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all the info, now will get you great service if you gave me the script, haha no im kiding but thanks and i'll put great service down.

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.
Regards :)
Good luck.
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS(R)