Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Is this discussion covered under.HIPPA?

Is this discussion covered under.HIPPA? I could really use your expert advise. About 24hrs ago, while shopping, and 2 kids were running around pushing. A cart.when I passed over the walkway, apparently didnt see me and the cark hit me full forse and threw me into the metal endcap.my chiropractor took xrays for me because I have no insurance. I cracked 3 ribs and am heavly bruised amlost allaround the torso. I have iced it, used a heating pad, motrin ibpn and aleve but im not getting any relief from any of them.icant do almost anything without the pain radiates badly. cAn you help me? Please.

Much love, lissa

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

This conversation is public knowledge and can be searched by anyone, although none of your identifying information is posted.

Dr. Rick, MD :

That being said, we can use a secure system to discuss your issue, either by skype, phone or other means, that is secure and private.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Although there is an additional charge for this new service.

Dr. Rick, MD :

I see that you are typing....I will standby

Dr. Rick, MD :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Dr. Rick, MD : This conversation is public knowledge and can be searched by anyone, although none of your identifying information is posted.
Dr. Rick, MD : That being said, we can use a secure system to discuss your issue, either by skype, phone or other means, that is secure and private.
Dr. Rick, MD : Although there is an additional charge for this new service.
Dr. Rick, MD : I see that you are typing....I will standby
Dr. Rick, MD : I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am not getting an answer to my original medical question I posred this morning. All you keep telling me are your technical issues. Can you

help me with my original medical query?

Lissa,

Yes. I sure can.

But you asked if this site was HIPPA compliant...and it is not.

You never told me if you want to continue....

Let me know what you want to do.

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will continue to speak because I really need help. I described what happened in an earlier post. ive tried using a torso binder, ice, And heat. It hurts to sit up, lie dawn, stand, and god help me if something falls on the floor cause picking it up is out of the question. I dont have any heLth insurance so I can t go to the er or.a cl,inic. Can you help me? Please.

Lissa,

You sound angry with me so I feel that, even after I give you an answer, you will not mash the positive feedback button for me...

But, I will continue to speak since it is obvious you are in pain and I can help you to better understand what is going on and, hopefully, save you an expensive trip to the ER or a doctors office....

First of all, if you are coughing up blood or having any other issues other then localized pain then you need to get into see a doctor.

Other than that the treatment for broken ribs is a large dose of Tincture of Time. You do not need to wear a tight ace bandage around your chest (although this can sometimes help with the pain) nor do anything other then take tylenol or motrin for the pain and just leave things that fall on the floor lay there.

I speak not only as a doctor but from personal experience. A few years ago I dumped a 500 pound snowmobile on top of myself at about 50 MPH and slid across the lake a bit. I think I broke 2 or 3 ribs judging by the clicking sounds that accompanied by breathing. Once day, about 5 weeks later, I woke up and noticed it didn't hurt anymore.

So. What is the take home message? This will heal on its own. As the Wise Man said to Kane: Patience, Grasshopper.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC