Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My brother has MS bad and he has smoked like a chimney for

My brother has MS bad and he has smoked like a chimney for as long as I remember. In fact the most exercise he gets in his day is rolling his own. He can get 2 done then go away for a while. Anyway His wife just had half a lung removed so she had to quit smoking. She (understandably) is making brother quit as well. He wants me to see if I can get him some patches He isn't taking meds for the MS because he past the point where they help. Do these patches have side affects that he would have trouble with his MS ?
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Does he have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I assume you are talking about getting him some nicotine patches.

With a disease as complex and varied as MS the best person to ask this question to would be his treating doctor as he knows him best.

It probably will be OK but he should check with his MD first just to be on the safe side....

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.