Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

How long does it take to lay down a neuron tract? I read somewhere

How long does it take to lay down a neuron tract? I read somewhere it takes 40 days. Is that true? Does it depend on the type of neuron tract? I am asking because I want to know about repetition and forming new habits or learning new patterns of movement or behavior.
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Theresa,

Learning involves more then just laying down new neuron tracts in your brain. It is a complex process that modern science is still learning about.

Recently, it was found that the production of RNA and other compounds in existing neurons is important in the process of learning as is the formation of secondary connections.

So. As you can see, forming new habits and learning new patterns of behavior is a complex process, not only at the cellular level but at the emotional and personal level as well.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am looking for a way to verify a claim that I read that it takes 40 days of repetition to create or lay down a neuron tract in the brain ( I suspect) in order to form an automatic habit. I realize it is complex but I wonder why it is 40 days, not say, 28.

I don't have any neurological problem or medical issues. I am writing an introduction to a self help book which makes the claim of 40 days. I want to verify it or at least have an idea that it is true.

Theresa,

That is not a hard and fast rule, only what the data showed in specific set of experiments.

It might also be a "fact" that a specific organization is using to sell there program that lasts forty days....

I'd not put these data in your book without a caveat such as "some sources say this takes 40 days...."

Make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you point me to the experiments that suggest a 40 day time period for neuron tract development? Is that something PubMed would have?

Thanks,

Theresa