Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My husband has been diagnosed with ataxia, sporadic ataxia

My husband has been diagnosed with ataxia, sporadic ataxia and we have heard that there is help at the mda website. However they only mention fried riches ataxia. Currently he is in a rest home with only minimal help and limited physical therapy. Can you give me some ideas. Just lying there is very bad for him in every way.

Thank you jan a
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

When was he diagnosed?

Does he have any medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Jan,

The best thing to do would be, if possible, to take him to a large University Medical Center.

Why a University Medical Center? Because at an institution like that he could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you and your husband.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is his best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on and what, if anything, can be done.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS