911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have a persistent feeling of air bubbles in my chest, if

I have a persistent feeling of air bubbles in my chest, if I get myself to burp it's more painful. I also have nausea when I eat and lower abdominal pain. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 12 months ago.

911DOC :

I'm afraid I can't be of much help except to say this.

911DOC :

Pain in the abdomen and chest

911DOC :

Related to eating or not

911DOC :

at age 60

911DOC :

requires a visit to the doctor

911DOC :

there are so many things on the list of possibilities

911DOC :

and some of them dangerous

911DOC :

including pain from the heart

911DOC :

pain from the gall bladder

911DOC :

and problems with the stomach such as ulcers

911DOC :

or even cancer

911DOC :

there is no possible way for me to tell you online what this is

911DOC :

it's good you have tried zantac as that would help with ulcer or reflux pain, but it has not worked

911DOC :

so it's time to get checked, and sooner rather than later

911DOC :

if the pain is particularly bad tonight, then you need to go to the ER

911DOC :

if this is your gall bladder (typically causes pain after eating with lots of gas)

911DOC :

then you might need surgery

911DOC :

if this is an ulcer then we need to know because ulcers can erode through the stomach lining and cause a surgical emergency

911DOC :

it is possible this is your heart then this pain could signal heart disease and could be a warning of a heart attack

911DOC :

are there non dangerous things this could be?

911DOC :

sure there are

911DOC :

could simply be bad reflux, but the zantac should make that somewhat better

911DOC :

could be a narrowing of the esophagus (feeding tube)

911DOC :

the problem is that the diagnosis of any of these problems requires labs and EKG and xray and ultrasound

Customer:

Thank you.

911DOC :

there is simply no simple test one can do when there is internal pian in the chest or abdominal area

911DOC :

you are welcome

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

I have had 2 EKGS within the last two months.

Customer:

and they have been normal

911DOC :

that's good

911DOC :

EKGs are valuable tools, but do not tell us if your heart is healthy

911DOC :

they tell us, often, if you are HAVING a heart attack, and they tell us if you have had one in the past

911DOC :

but they do not tell us if you are ABOUT to have a heart attack

Customer:

okay

911DOC :

that requires a stress test or a catheterization of the heart

Customer:

I have also had a stress test and that was normal as well.

911DOC :

good

911DOC :

so that puts the heart way down the list as a possible cause

Customer:

that's good news

911DOC :

sounds like this is being looked into, but no answers yet?

911DOC :

have they done an ultrasound of the gall bladder or a CT of your abdomen and pelvis?

Customer:

The air bubbles is relatively new but the nausea during eating isn't. Yes, I have had an ultrasound and CT of the abdomen which also came back normal two years ago.

911DOC :

two years ago doesn't help much regarding your current situation

911DOC :

have you had an upper endoscopy

Customer:

No I have not.

911DOC :

do you have a good primary care doctor?

Customer:

I believe so.

911DOC :

good

911DOC :

is he or she aware of these persistent symptoms?

Customer:

I have an appt with a GI physician in November, I worry about cancer.

911DOC :

I'm very glad you have the appointment

911DOC :

Any particular reason you worry about cancer?

911DOC :

does it run in the family?

Customer:

No, but I hear so much about it so that's the first thing that comes to mind. There is no family history of cancer.

911DOC :

have you lost weight?

Customer:

No

911DOC :

good

911DOC :

so I would put cancer way down on your worry list

911DOC :

this sounds like a GI problem

911DOC :

and not a cancer problem

911DOC :

I am glad you are seeing a GI doctor as they will be the best doctor to get this figured out the quickest way

Customer:

Thank you.

911DOC :

Cancers in the abdomen usually produce weight loss and/or bleeding into the stool

911DOC :

the story you tell goes with reflux or gall bladder or ulcer disease

911DOC :

that's what it sounds like

911DOC :

and since we are pretty sure it's not your heart the GI doc is the way to go next

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

None of those symptoms. Thank you I feel reassured at this point.

911DOC :

very well

911DOC :

is there anything else you wish to ask me this evening about your problem?

Customer:

No and thank you, XXXXX XXXXX words of God dance in your ears and bring joy to your heart as you sleep tonight!

911DOC :

why thank you! and may God bless you and keep you.

Customer:

Thank you.

911DOC :

It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911DOC :

Try to get some good sleep

911DOC :

will check in with you in a few days

911DOC :

best

Customer:

Thank you.

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Expert:  911DOC replied 12 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.