DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Loose stools in morning x12 days now. Abdominal xray, blood

Loose stools in morning x12 days now. Abdominal xray, blood work, stool culture, O&P, H. pylori, urinanalysis all normal. Not pregnant. Ultrasound a month ago showed 1 gallstone. Few weeks ago had a bout of diarrhea. Then 4 days of normal stools/constipation. Then for the past 12 days I've had different types of diarrhea, usually once in the morning. At the beginning of the 12 days it was accompanied by nausea in morning, burping upon waking, sour taste in my mouth, fatigue and lack of appetite. Nausea has left, burping has left, sour taste has left, but I still don't have an appetite, I'm worn out, and I have to force myself to eat. Some occasional pain upper left quadrant into back, which I've attributed to splenic flexure, but I could be wrong. Could this all be related to my gallstone? No pain upper right quadrant. No blood in stools. Stools look light brown to orange. Dr. put me on 3 days of Xifaxan 3 times a day. Hasn't worked. What could this be? Please, tell me it's not cancer!
Hello
What is your age?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

25 years old, female.

OK
Not cancer at this age.
Gall bladder dysfunction is possible. A HIDA scan would be needed to show that.

Most likely cause..IBS...irritable bowel syndrome, which would require careful attention to diet .....that should be done anyway...a bowel stabilizing nutrient dense diet should be done.

I would talk to the doctor about a HIDA scan.

The other test to consider is colonoscopy...to make sure it is not inflammatory bowel disease....

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would happen with my gallbladder that would be causing these symptoms? Too much or too little bile? If it is inflammatory bowel disease, what would that entail in the long run? So not colon cancer?

no not cancer.
If the gallbladder is not emptying, it can cause symptoms. Hence the need for the HIDA scan.
Inflammatory bowel is autoimmune disease, but can not be diagnosed without the scope.
Please do not forget a positive rating.