Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Can ear irrigation to clean wax out of the ear right after

Can ear irrigation to clean wax out of the ear right after a barotrauma where the ear drum is very inflamed cause a type of hyperacusis or phono phobia?
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

What did you do to your ear?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

After significant barotrauma you should not put anything in your ear as it can damage the delicate bones of your inner ear and lead to permanent hearing loss.

If you are having hyperacusis, phonophobia or any other symptoms you need to see an ENT ASAP.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. Rick,

Could the flushing in the ear after barotrauma cause tinnitus or hyper acusis?

What would the ENT do more than a regular doctor?

It could cause a variety of problems depending on the structures damaged by the incident of barotrauma and where the flush, and gunk flushed out, ends up, such as in your ear canal, middle ear etc.

An ENT has special training and tools to take care of your problem as compared to a primary care MD.

It is a lot like comparing an Eagle Scout to a Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps. They both are experts in their area however one of them has a lot more training, ability and experience.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK just one more question :-) If the ear drum is not ruptured but very inflamed from a scuba diving incident, could the flushing in the ear to take the wax out cause a tinnitus or hyperacusis?

As a SCUBA diver for over 3 decades, I can say with the utmost confidence.....maybe.

See the pretty Excellent feedback button? Don't be afraid. Give it a little push. You'll like it.....Trust me, I'm a Doctor ;)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would it be a temporary condition or how long could symptoms last if it was from the flushing? would the tinnitus only be in the ear that was flushed or could the tinnitus be in both ears?

I'm having crazy symptoms of sometimes almost normal and then real sensitivity to sound with increasing tinnitus symptoms. Why does it fluctuate like that? Not sure if loud noises or cold water in the ear triggered it

I want to give you an excellent rating, once I have all the answers I need :-))

Have you seen many ear barotraumas with ear drum intact, give tinnitus and /or hyperacusis from scuba diving?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you see my reply below? I haven't received an answer yet

At this point the best way to get an answer to all your questions is to consult with an ENT doctor in person.