Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello. I am 35 male and have gone to the Dr. for a suspected

Hello. I am 35 male and have gone to the Dr. for a suspected hemorrhoid. He confirmed it was an external one. I had no bleeding but lots of pain and discomfort. He gave me scheriproct, (not sure if you have it in the US) but is a basically a corticosteroid and a pain reducing medication in cream form as I understand it. It presented with pain and discomfort for 7 days. During the 7 days I took a similar medication to Prep h and tried to symptomatically treat it. But after 7 days of zero improvement I decided to go to the Dr. he then prescribed the scheriproct and said it will go away in 7-10 days. Well today is day 10 of medication and 17 days since it started and there is a zero improvement in size. It may have gotten bigger in fact but the pain has almost 85% disappeared. So I am comfortable mostly but it is still very much there and with no size reduction at all. My doc is away for the next week. Should I still just continue the cream another week until he comes back? Do these things take this long normally? I have only had 1 before to my knowledge and it was done in 7 days. Am I over concerned and maybe just give it more time? Finally if additional treatment in needed, what is it? Surgery or something similar? Thank you very much for any info you can help me with.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

does it feel like a firm lump?

Dr. D.J. :

External hemorrhoid can persist for several weeks sometimes.

Dr. D.J. :

This is due to the clotting of the blood inside the hemorrhoid.

Dr. D.J. :

The unchanged size is not usually concerning as long as the pain is improving and there is no pus or foul smelling discharge.

Customer:

Yes reasonably firm but I can depress it.

Dr. D.J. :

ok --nothing to worry about.

Customer:

no other things you mentioned. Just the size not moving. Pain has improved dramatically.

Dr. D.J. :

ok

Dr. D.J. :

and do you have any blood in the stool?

Customer:

No blood.

Dr. D.J. :

do you have constipation?

Customer:

not at all.

Dr. D.J. :

ok

Dr. D.J. :

so you can continue with the cream for now.

Dr. D.J. :

Also consider a sitz bath

Dr. D.J. :

sitz bath helps to soften the swelling.

Dr. D.J. :

Usually surgery is not required if you do not have any other symptom over the time.

Customer:

I understand. When is the next time to be concerned? 7 more days? When do I start to worry if the size does not decrease? Today is day 17.

Dr. D.J. :

it may take 2 weeks more to see decrease in size.

Dr. D.J. :

You should be concerned if there is increase in size in the meantime.

Customer:

There was an increase. Only after the 7th day or so. Then stable.

Dr. D.J. :

ok that is expected--not a concern.

Customer:

If I see an increase in size I go back to the dr?

Dr. D.J. :

yes you should for another evaluation.

Dr. D.J. :

Since you do not have any other symptoms, I do not find it concerning.

Customer:

Also I have stopped the gym out of discomfort first and now out of concern only. As there is lamost no pain can I continue the gym?

Dr. D.J. :

yes you can --although heavy weight lifting, long standing can worsen hemorrhoid, you can resume gym

Dr. D.J. :

there is no reason to avoid exercises now.

Customer:

Thank you. Last question. Worst case, If in 14 more days there is no reduction in size or even an increase in size...I should go back. When I do what is to be expected? A stronger medication will be given to me or will a specific surgical procedure be done? Just so I know what to expect worse case.

Dr. D.J. :

Still, it is usually not serious.

Dr. D.J. :

But in some cases, this can be removed surgically if it is discomforting.

Dr. D.J. :

The risk of cancer is practically zero.

Customer:

Hopefully it will go away on its own in 14 days. I will monitor it and see what happens in 2 weeks.

Dr. D.J. :

sounds good.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. D.J. :

do not worry.

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Customer:

Thnaks. I do tend to worry a bit about any anomaly on m y body.

Dr. D.J. :

no worries.

Customer:

fine line in being concerned and being worried for no reason.

Customer:

thanks again for your assistance.

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome