Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

i think i have this weird sensation in my throat and top of

i think i have this weird sensation in my throat and top of the chest right below the neck. i think it feels that it's burning. and itchy. i don't think i am out of breath though. and when i take a deep breath it feels fine. but, i am paranoid that this could be something wrong with my lungs or something. also, i think it feels constrained.
i did ask this question of someone else, but hope you don't mind.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Dr. Hasan :

Definitely i don't mind.

Dr. Hasan :

As i say, you can ask me anything, any day, any time :)

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you have this?

Customer:

couple of days

Dr. Hasan :

Do you feel this more when you wake up in the morning?

Dr. Hasan :

Any change in voice?

Customer:

no. it feels that it's constant all day

Customer:

don't know about changes in voice. my nose is running, so there is change there

Dr. Hasan :

From your description, there is one thing that is clear that your throat at that area is inflammed.

Dr. Hasan :

The cause of this can be acid reflux from stomach or post nasal drip from nose.

Customer:

could it be lungs or esophagus or something?

Dr. Hasan :

No other possibility like that from lung is possible.

Customer:

or whatever else is there

Dr. Hasan :

Oesophagus inflammation secondary to acid reflux is possible.

Dr. Hasan :

but it's not related to lungs for sure.

Customer:

but, when i take a breath it feels on top of the chest (next to throat) - still not lungs?

Dr. Hasan :

You feel this in mid line?

Dr. Hasan :

you feel this in mid line of neck and chest?

Dr. Hasan :

you there?

Customer:

yes. sorry.

Customer:

yes. mid line.

Customer:

yes, to the neck and chest thing.

Dr. Hasan :

Lungs are not in mid line.

Dr. Hasan :

Oesophagus is in mid line.

Customer:

oh.

Dr. Hasan :

OTC omeprazole 40mg once daily can help you.

Customer:

ok, so esophagus then

Dr. Hasan :

Yes

Customer:

what is that?

Dr. Hasan :

Burning feeling is characteristic of acid reflux.

Dr. Hasan :

Oesophagus means food pipe.

Customer:

how long does that last?

Customer:

and there is also tightness/

Customer:

is any of this horrible?

Dr. Hasan :

It depends that whether you treat this or not.

Dr. Hasan :

If you take omeprazole daily, claritin daily and avoid smoking, alcohol, spicy foods etc, you can be ok in just 4 to 5 days.

Customer:

is any of this horrible?

Dr. Hasan :

Not at all.

Dr. Hasan :

It's a very common problem.

Customer:

and the tightness - is that normal too?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it is part of acid reflux.

Customer:

also, on the unrelated/related note. every morning i wake up and my nose is running. and then i sneeze for a while and then it stops. it's been going on for years.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes this is classical for allergy.

Dr. Hasan :

not related to your current problem.

Dr. Hasan :

Have i shared with you my home remedy for allergy?

Customer:

with the allergy thing, could i have developed it later in life? and why did i?

Customer:

no, you have not.

Customer:

and the tightness feels like you

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you can develop allergy any time in your life. I would like to share a home remedy. Take 250 ml of honey, add one table spoon each of ginger extract and black pepper. Make a solution and take one teaspoon twice daily. It might take 15 days or more but will help you.

Customer:

.... as if i've been curled up when you sleep in tight ball and then uncurled.

Customer:

hmmm. good. thanks.

Dr. Hasan :

It is matter of sleeping habit.

Dr. Hasan :

Most welcome.

Customer:

should not worry about lungs or esophagus then?

Dr. Hasan :

remember it takes time but it's healthy and natural.

Dr. Hasan :

Definitely not.

Dr. Hasan :

100% guarantee :)

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else you want to ask?

Customer:

yes, but i tend to freak out.

Dr. Hasan :

yes it's anxiety but not any serious real medical illness.

Customer:

ok. thanks.

Dr. Hasan :

Most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

one more question.

Customer:

why did you ask about the change in voice?

Dr. Hasan :

I asked so because acid reflux can cause change in voice.

Dr. Hasan :

This change in voice related to acid reflux is worse in morning and gets better with passing day.

Customer:

oh. ok. so, still the same thing then.

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

Yes

Customer:

still super annoying. almost feels like something is stuck in there, but nothing is there.

Dr. Hasan :

This is classical symptom of acid reflux to have foreign body sensation in throat.

Customer:

ugh. thank you.

Dr. Hasan :

Most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else you want to ask?

Customer:

not at the moment.

Dr. Hasan :

Thank you.

Dr. Hasan :

Please rate my answer as per level of your satisfaction.

Dr. Hasan :

Regards

Customer:

ok, so sometimes, i have an upper back pain. right where the lungs are supposed to be. is that a lung pain then?

Dr. Hasan : No this can't be lung pain because back is in midline and lungs are at sides. It is likely to be muscular pain.
Customer:

oh. ok. then.

Dr. Hasan : Ok :)
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery