Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have had off and on dizziness/balance issues, diagnosed as

I have had off and on dizziness/balance issues, diagnosed as BPPV for 20 years. In Feb. 2012 I took a plane that clearly had pressure issues it was a 3.5 hour flight. When I got off, my ear physically hurt and I had tinnitus in my left ear - the sound of the "wind". I went to my ent had a hearing test which showed some "low frequency hearing loss". I was confused by this because at the time the only thing my mind would let me hear was my "wind". I was terrified. The tinnitus lasted about 2 weeks and at 19 days post flight (after the tinnitus was gone) I had another hearing test and my hearing was normal again.

Fast forward to this year, Sept 10 I used a hand sander for 3 hours - ears unprotected. Big mistake. When I turned off the sander 3 hours later, I had tinnitus. Again, it lasted about 2 weeks and then dissipated. Went to the ENT and he said it sounds like Menieres.

Do you think this sounds like Menieres?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press

'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I am an ENT and can help you with this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

did you have dizziness along with the tinnitus after using the sander?

Customer:

I don't know if I would call it dizziness - just being off balance. The world did not spin like Vertigo. I was just "off balance" because one ear was normal and one was hearing the wind. Does that make sense?

Customer:

I also do have chronic post nasal drip - spit phlegm about 20-25 times a day. Always have - as long as I can remember. And I had chronic tonscilitis growing up and eustachian tube dysfunction.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well, regarding your symptoms as a whole, I would agree with your ENT that it sounds like meniere's

Dr. P. Jyoti :

dizziness, tinnitus and hearing loss are the diagnostic signs of tinnitus

Customer:

but what about the fact that after my tinnitus left I had a normal hearing test?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the fact that it occurs on only one ear is very important - this is typical of meniere's

Dr. P. Jyoti :

that it even more significant - it is one of the key factors which make one think of meniere's

Dr. P. Jyoti :

temporary hearing loss which recovers after the event is a very typical sign of meniere's

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is diagnostic in fact - in other cases of hearing loss the loss would never recover

Customer:

oh my goodness. I am terrified. terrified.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i see you are also writing something, please hold on till i have completed my answer or we will be cross talking

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there is no need to be scared, meniere's is not such a critical condition

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it can be treated and controlled by medications

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i see you are writing again, i will wait for your message before going on with my answer

Customer:

but it is VERY unpredictable. and what scares me is that though I have had symptoms of it for 20 years that the things I read online - other peoples experiences with vertigo that makes them vomit and requires hospitalization. Will mine eventually come to that?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello no

Dr. P. Jyoti :

please do not go by that

Dr. P. Jyoti :

we expect meniere's to gradually resolve

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there is no need to suppose that you will require that

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in fact, meniere's should gradually come down in most cases

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is important to get a confirmed diagnosis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

one way for this is to do an MRI at the time you are having an episode and check for a swollen inner ear on one side

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is diagnostic

Dr. P. Jyoti :

meniere's can usually be controlled well with low salt diet, diuretics and anti dizziness medicines when the episodes occur

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so you need not get worried about this, it is not going to get worse

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in fact it is good that you have got a diagnosis which is most likely correct

Dr. P. Jyoti :

incorrect diagnosis and treatment has probably led to this recurrence

Dr. P. Jyoti :

consult your ENT again if you have another episode

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss about an MRI of the inner ear at that time

Dr. P. Jyoti :

other that that, medicines will keep it under control

Dr. P. Jyoti :

not such a serious problem, dont get worried

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

So you are saying that it is possible that I have had the "worst" of it over the past 20 years? With the dizziness and infrequent vertigo? If this is as bad as it gets then I can handle it. I did not realize that it won't get progressively worse until I am in the hospital. From what I have read online that is what it sounds like. And it terrifies me.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello yes,

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in most cases meniere's is self resolving and gets better on its own

Dr. P. Jyoti :

of course in some cases it can get progressively worse

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but that is not how it has turned out in your case

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since you have had this for 20 years without getting progressively worse

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and in your latest episode the dizziness was very mild compared to the earlier episodes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is very likely that you fall in the self resolving group

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so I would say that your chances are very hopeful

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hope thats reassuring

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any other questions?

Customer:

thank you. i appreciate your help.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.