Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am not certain if this is a neurolgy or cardiology question

Customer Question

I am not certain if this is a neurolgy or cardiology question or concern, but let me explain. I have been dealing with tingling in my feet and calfs, occassionally my hands, for several years. Seems to come and go. I have had a number of different tests for peripheral neuropothy, lymes, diabetes, etc. Glucose is normal, lymes test was done three different times, negative. Peripheal - negative.
I did pay for a new type of laser treatment for my feet and that seemed to help a little, but now this sensation I have is more tightness in my leg muscles - not weakness so much, tight. I stretch daily, but it is almost painful to stretch and it doesn't give me much relief anyway.
Another symptom that seems related is that when I sit on a chair the slightest pressure on my hamstring seems to make my legs go a little numb or feel uncomfortable - almost restless. When this is at it's worst, it makes me feel a little anxious. Hard to sit still.
Not sure where to go with this so some direction would be good. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

John, I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering with this issue for such a long time.

Dr. Rick, MD :

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

Dr. Rick, MD :

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

Dr. Rick, MD :

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Dr. Rick, MD :

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Dr. Rick, MD : John, I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering with this issue for such a long time.
Dr. Rick, MD : It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Dr. Rick, MD : Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.
Dr. Rick, MD : At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

Dr. Rick, MD : The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
Dr. Rick, MD :

Dr. Rick, MD : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, MD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD :
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am in Minneapolis so the Mayo Clinic is very convenient.

Based on my symptoms, you have no idea either I take it.

John,

I've been to Rochester and you will get fantastic service there :)

I am good but if your personal doctors and sub-specialists, who had complete access to your entire medical history, advanced testing equipment as well as being able to see and touch your personal body I -- using only online chat -- would seem to be at a particular disadvantage when it comes to pinpointing what is going on. Wouldn't you say this was true ;)

I hope you get to the bottom of what is going on soon. I wish you the very best.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you pass my question on to another doctor? I would like a neurologist or cardiologist.

John,

Sure. I will opt out. Do not respond to me or that will lock your question again.

A cardiologist or neurologist will reply when they are available.

I hope you find a solution to your issues soon.

Go Pack GO! ;)
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
I see no need for the mayo clinic at this point.

I am a double board certified doctor I deal with this medicine wise and integratively all the time.

Here is a key question.

Have you had an EMG?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It was negative. I have been told that those are not always accurate, but it was extensive (not very comfortable either). It was done on my legs, arms and hands. My symptoms are not constant by the way.

And have you had an MRI of the lower spine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I haven't. I have had low back problems (left side only) for several years. Doesn't seem related. Getting some chiropractic treatment for that along with left hip pain and discomfort.

It is quite related.

Compression on the nerves or the spinal cord can cause these exact symptoms, is quite common, does not even have to have back pain, and is often overlooked.

Chiropractic does not help with this in most cases.

It is often missed, x ray does not always see it.

You need to see a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation if not done. These are MD doctors in manual medicine, for a full structural examination and an MRI.

I would do this before wasting further time.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much. This makes so much more sense than past diagnosis. My symptoms come and go and as of late have spiked. The reason: Over the last two weeks I have had three full body massages and two one long chirpractic sessions that worked on muscle tightness and and minimal adjustments. This would perhaps answer why it is more aggravated or sensitive now all of a sudden.

Yes that tends to be exactly what happens, and you are welcome.
Can you please make sure to rate my post here, a positive is the only way I will be paid for giving you the correct answer.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 12 months ago.
Hi
Do you have further questions?

Please do not forget a positive rating.