Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

My boyfriend is very sick right now. This is the third time

My boyfriend is very sick right now. This is the third time in three weeks that he had sudden violent vomitting along with very sharp painful abdominal pains. He is a very active and healthy guy, doesn't go to the doctor much. Each time this has happened it is very sudden and very violent. He throws up for hours, shaking and weak. What could be the possible cause of this? At first we thought it was food poisoning, but not anymore. Could it be a parasite? Could it be an indication of something serious? How can I help him? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

does he have fever along with this? how long do the episodes last?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message.

Customer:

Dr. P. Jyoti :

does he have fever?

Customer:

He doesn't seem to have a fever, but he has the chills.

Customer:

If he does have a fever he just feels slightly warm

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well there are a number of conditions this could be

Dr. P. Jyoti :

one of the most likely is cholecystitis or inflammation of the gall bladder

Dr. P. Jyoti :

pancreatitis or inflamation of the pancreas is also a possibility

Dr. P. Jyoti :

other conditions which would cause these symptoms are:

Customer:

The episodes last hours. We thought it was from sushi about three weeks ago, then a week later it happened again and tonight it happened for the third time. He gets a bit light headed and dry mouth, pain in stomach then violent vomitting where he shakes and continues to have terrible sharp pains.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

diverticulitis, appendicitis, torsion of the intestines, intussusception, ischemia of the intestines, etc

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok it appears we have been cross talking

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i had already given my answer

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will repaste it

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Customer:

He is laying on the bathroom floor and cant move right now.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he needs urgent medical attention

Dr. P. Jyoti :

with these symptoms he needs to go to the ER immediately

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this could be something serious like torsion, pancreatitis, ischemia, etc

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he needs urgent medical attention for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

get him to the ER immediately

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ask about these conditions

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he will need an ultrasound of the abdomen for this

Customer:

This is the third time and he hasn't gone to the ER before.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you have to convince him to go to the ER

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but with such pain he should go to the ER

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if at all he refuses to go to the ER then you must consult your doctor as soon as possible, at least by tomorrow

Dr. P. Jyoti :

some of these conditions are serious and they need to be ruled out

Customer:

COuld it be a parasite?

Customer:

He works on the ocean, so I thought maybe it could be some kind of parasite from the water.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

no not a parasite

Customer:

He has been a little constipated as well.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it would be the other conditions i mentioned

Dr. P. Jyoti :

thats right, constipation would be associated with this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it could also be intestinal block

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the most important investigation for him is an ultrasound

Customer:

Which of the conditions are the top suspects?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

besides this, blood investigations, colonoscopy, etc may be needed

Dr. P. Jyoti :

cholecystitis is the main suspect

Dr. P. Jyoti :

along with pancreatitis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these two are big possibilities

Dr. P. Jyoti :

along with intestinal block, torsion, etc

Dr. P. Jyoti :

first two are the main

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

Could he see a general doctor tomorrow? He doesn't have health insurance, so maybe urgent care?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes he should go to urgent care tomorrow

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ask about these conditions

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also ask about doing an ultrasound

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he needs urgent medical attention, this should not be delayed

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Thank you doctor!!!

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

wish you both all the best

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Thanks.

Customer:

Same to you :)

Dr. P. Jyoti :

thanks

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and good night

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Thanks.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Hello Jaclyn,

How is your boyfriend doing now? Did you go to Urgent Care? I would like to follow up with you on this, do write back to me when you have seen your doctor.

Thank you for your positive rating to my answer.

I am very pleased that I was able to help you.

You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, because the survey is actually very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.

If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just 'request' me or put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.

It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.

JA has also started a new feature where you can add an expert to your list of favorite experts so that you can request them directly

I would be honored to be included in your list.

Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.