PrimaryCare1
PrimaryCare1, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Providing Integrative Healthcare for the Whole family with over 30 years experience in E.R. and Primary Care.
75862358

My son is 8 years old. He was walking like his side hurts

My son is 8 years old. He was walking like his side hurts him. I asked him if he hurt somewhere, he pointed to left pelvic area. I had him raise his left hand and stretch leaning towards the right. He said it hurts a little, but not like the way he seems to hurt when he walks. I was afraid it's appendicitis? How would I know, his dad says it might be muscle cramp. I've never experience appendicitis, so I don't have a reference.

Reading on-line info on appendicitis, he does not show: loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, change in bowel habit and fever.

What should I watch for, of-course I know if he complain more, I will take him to the doctor. He went to bed fine, but still walking with pain symptoms, walking slowly and carefully.

Any ideas/thoughts?
Pam

PrimaryCare1 :

Hi, This is Dr. Phil. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I am happy to answer your question.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Phil,

Customer:

My son is sleeping fine, I went in to check on him, he's sweaty, but that's normal for him as he get's all wrapped up in his blanket. I only have one, I don't have much experience and was concerned about appendicitis.

PrimaryCare1 :

I'm sorry to hear that your son is experiencing some pain. The appendix is in your right lower abdomen so the pain is more to the right side. His diagnosis is not certain but it could be pain coming from his left hip. If his pain is not significantly better tomorrow, he should have a Doctor's visit. 8 year olds usually get better very fast!

Customer:

So nothing to worry about as far as pain on the left side of his lower abdomen?

PrimaryCare1 :

He definitely does not have appendicitis. His pain is not an emergency problem but it should get better by tomorrow. Is there anything further I can help you with?

Customer:

No, thank you. appendicitis is ruled out, I'm happy.

PrimaryCare1 :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please leave me positive feedback if you are happy with my answer and if you have any further questions, please request me. Dr. Phil. Thank you

Customer:

Thank you for clarifying the side of appendicitis. Have a great evening.

Hi, I just wanted to follow up with you to see how your son was doing? Does he have any pain today?
You can reach me any time, I am happy to help,
Dr. Phil
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for checking in. I checked on him first thing in the morning. He bounced back and no complaints as you suspected.

We are doing good, thank you.
I'm happy to hear your son is doing well! If you need me to help with any further questions, you can go to my direct link and request me. Thank you!