Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hello I will explain my problem, which will need special attention.

Hello I will explain my problem, which will need special attention. I have a muscular dystrophy, I am very sensitive to respiratory viruses therefore I MUST NOT go the the hospital for nothing, this is why I'm asking your help.

Sorry for my engligh, I'm french !

Since a couple of months, I sometimes have a little blood in my stool, not always only sometimes. I saw a gastroenterologis 2 months ago and am on a waiting list to pass a short colonoscopy. I am 41 and had 2 diverticulitis already.

Today I had a lot more blood then usual, more than 1 tea spoon. I have a light pain on the left side of my belly, which happens also when I have IBS (irritible bowl syndrome) which I have.

The blood in my stool worries my, what shood I do ?

OH I have to tell you that I take coumadin, my IRN is 3.1
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

When are you scheduled to have short colonoscopy?
Since how long are you taking coumadin?
Any recent ultrasound scan done?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

For the short colonoscopy : We are still wating for the date to be fixed.

Coumadin : Since 2007

No ultrasound scan done ... but a pulmunary scan 3 weeks ago, without perfusion.

Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for your quick reply.

I had started working your question. Please stay online, I will post your answer in 15 minutes.However I will try my best to give you answer ASAP.

Kind Regards XXXXX

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I paid the max (detail and urgency). Why aren't we chatting live ?

Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for staying online.Here is your detailed answer.

The symptoms you have described seems that there can be another episode of diverticulosis/diverticulitis.

Other possibilities of these symptoms are:hemorrhoids,anal fissures,intestinal infection (such as bacterial enterocolitis),inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative collitis,crohn's disease,Irritable bowel disease(IBS).

Although you had a lot more blood then usual, more than 1 tea spoon as described,but this is not an emergency condition for which you need to go to hospital or ER.

You need following tests:

-Stool examination,
-Anoscopy
-Ultrasound of lower abdomen,
-Rectal examination
-Colonoscopy.

As you are taking coumadin,therapeutic ranges for this test are between 2.0 to 3.0

If your INR is higher than this range, that means your blood clots more slowly than desired. A lower INR means your blood clots more quickly than desired. The most common INR target range for someone on warfarin is somewhere between 2.0 and 4.0.So your INR falls within normal range.

As you are already in wait for colonoscopy,I advice you to wait & rule out other causes that can cause blood in stool like IBS or IBD.

There is no immediate risk to life with mild, intermittent GI bleeding.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that although you had bleeding more than 1 tea spoon,this is not an emergency condition & there is no immediate risk,I advice that you should wait for your colonoscopy so that the underlying cause can be confirmed & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I just went back to the toilet and did other stool, one little part with a little blood and the rest without.

1- Can the IBS make me bleed in stool ??

2- I am still worried, when shouId I specifictly need to consult ?

Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for asking follow up question.
I am happy to help you.

Yes,fresh red blood in stool is a symptom of IBS & you need to rule out other causes by colonoscopy for which you are already in waiting line.

As I said above that blood in stool is not an emergency condition.

You need to go to ER,if you have any of these symptoms:

-Shortness of breath
-Difficulty breathing
-Severe headache,
-Dizziness or vertigo
-Feeling very weak

All these symptoms usually occurs when you have excessive bleeding/bloody diarrhea or continuous bleeding since months.

So in conclusion,I would like to say,that there is nothing serious or risk here & you can wait for your colonoscopy by your gastro doctor.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am suprised because I always heard that there was never blood in IBS !? is this true ??

I would like to know if it is frequent that there an important hemoragy develop with symptomes like mine ?

Thank you for answering my questions patiently :)

Dear XXXXX,

I am sorry for the confusion here.It was typed wrongly.It is IBD & not IBS that can cause blood in stool.

When ever a patient having IBS or diagnosed with IBS has blood in stool,then he/she needs to be investigated further for another condition called IBD-Inflammatory bowel disease.

IBD includes two chronic diseases that cause inflammation of the intestines: ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease. Their exact cause is not known yet.

So it is IBD (Inflammatory bowel disease) that can cause blood in stool.Exact cause of IBD is not known.

The blood in stool you are having can be due to diverticulitis/diverticulosis or IBD or other causes as described above.

This is the reason,you need colonoscopy to rule out/diagnose these causes.

Anemia can develop only when there is excessive bleeding or when there is chronic bleeding say from months & you will develop anemia symptoms as described above.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Hi Richard

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Do you still have blood in stool?
Have you got the date of colonoscopy?

Let me know,
Dr.Robert