DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have sudden episodic numbness / weakness all over, esp my

I have sudden episodic numbness / weakness all over, esp my legs and arms (and sometimes pressure head and chest) BEFORE bowel movement and then it's relieved... this has been going on for a month ever since I had a long lung infection.. I've had tests run, heart checked, blood work, ultrasound abdomen and pelvic -- all normal.

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

How old are you?

Male/female?

Do you have any other symptoms?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Hello
What further questions do you have at this point.

Can you tell me tests you have had
Types of doctors you are currently seeing?

Any neurological testing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had heart tests, blood work, stomach and pelvic ultrasound, and saw a rheumatologist. All came back normal.

I have not yet seen a neurologist but that might be the next step.

The episodes are getting better. About a month ago, my knees would get so wobbly it would be hard to walk, now they're just heavy and I have them once a day or every other day.

Rheumatologist seems to think it's because I had a lung infection fro 2 months and was on 3-4 rounds of antibiotics.

My GI doc had no clue. Didn't do any tests. Said I needed to do a colonoscopy which I haven't done yet.

I've never had anything like this, corresponding to BMs.

Further testing is needed.

I would see a neurologist or a physical medicine doctor for a possible EMG, which checks nerve conduction.

Also possible MRI of the lower spine, as spinal compression can cause this type of symptom.

I see no reason to go to the mayo clinic currently as any doctor can order these tests.

If you were on quinalones, they have been reported to have odd such effects, so if you are getting better, this might correct itself, but I would still see one of the two specialists I mention above and have the testing if indicated by exam.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I only have a family doctor right now who can refer me to a neurologist OR should I find a good internal medicine doctor who could order these tests? Thank you.

What are quinalones? I was on a ton of inhalers, nebulizers, and antibiotics. I was otherwise totally healthy before this. I am female, 45 years old.

I was on Levofloxacin but I had symptoms before I was on it. Before that was Clindamyacin and Doxycycline plus all the inhalers, nebulizers, and Prednisone which was awful. I've been off those for 2 months and off Levofloxacin for 1 month.

Thank you!

Quinilones are antibiotics.

Your family doctor can order the MRI.

A physical medicine doctor can do an EMG in the office.

So can a neurologist.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I need a brain MRI or just the lower spine?

What is a "physical medicine doctor"?

Could Doxy cause this because it seemed to start when taking that... (or Prednisone) but I've been off them for 2 months...

Thanks for your help!

Lower spine if indicated by exam.
Physical medicine and rehabilitation is the specialty.
Levofloxicin is a quinalone.

Doxy and prednisone are unlikely do do this.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

The last one I was on was Levofloxicin but I had the symptoms for 1 month before starting Levo. What about Pulmicort? Flovent? Levalbuterol and albuterol? Could they cause this. Also Dulera inhaler -- seemed to correspond to one of those, I quit taking them.

My concern is that it was somehow caused by the "lung infection." Seems unlikely. I don't know. GI doc said might be possible that I have no good bacteria in my stomach and to take probiotics. Seems doubtful that would cause this, what's your opinion?

Should I start with neurologist or Physical Medicine/rehabilitation? Thank you very much!

No none of these have been reported to do this.
It should not be from the lung infection.

Physical medicine is better for structure and physical therapy, and will probably be faster.

Please do not forget a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! If Levo caused this or contributed to it -- will it go away? How long will it take? Thanks,

If a side effect it should go away.
At does not sound like that was the cause since symptoms started before the levo.
Please do not forget a positive rating.