911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

Hello, I understand that there are companies that offer online

Hello, I understand that there are companies that offer online purchase of over-the-counter medicine (like the one below). My husband buys Pristiq monthly and we found out that it is much cheaper to buy online than to get a prescription and buy at a pharmacy.
Are these companies allowed to sell drugs that you can only buy over-the-counter at a pharmacy? Why could they sell drugs cheaper?

http://ourmeds.org/products/anti_depressants/pristiq/order/
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.

911DOC :

let me make sure I am understanding you.

911DOC :

you wish to purchase pristiq online?

911DOC :

or some other medicines?

911DOC :

pristiq is by prescription.

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

interesting

911DOC :

when I go to that website my software blocks it as a malicious site

911DOC :

can't see what you are seeing

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

I do not see you responding so here is my answer

911DOC :

you CAN in fact, buy medicine online

911DOC :

you CAN buy prescription medicine online

911DOC :

you must be careful to use a quality pharmacy

911DOC :

and you must make sure your doctor gets the prescription to them for the medicines that require one

911DOC :

The savings come mostly from being able to deal in large quantities of a particular medication AND in not having to maintain a 'brick and mortar' building

911DOC :

so there ARE savings to be had shopping online for your medicaitons

911DOC :

however, be sure to read the Mayo clinic link

911DOC :

as some online pharmacies are not reputable and use generics that are made outside the US, so the quality may not be as good if you get medicines made in India or other countries

911DOC :

again, I can't get to the link you sent me as it is blocked by my protective software

911DOC :

standing by

Customer:

Sorry to be late in responding. Yes, I do wish to buy Pristiq and I was checking to see if there was an alternative way to buy Pristiq as it is very expensive, even though my health insurance provides some coverage.

911DOC :

yes, in fact you might be able to save quite a bit of money online... stand by

Customer:

Thank you for the link to Mayo Clinic. I will check that.

911DOC :

you might also try this link... this is a new site and I have used it myself

Customer:

Thank you for your advice regarding drugs made overseas...actually, the link that you couldn't access provided Pristiq made in other countries.

911DOC :

MDSAVE

911DOC :

can you click on the link above?

911DOC :

does it take you to a pricing page for venlafaxine (pristiq)?

911DOC :

oops... that looks like effexor and not pristiq

Customer:

Yes, it does, under the name of venlafaxine. Is this a generic term for Pristiq?

911DOC :

no, they are very similar

911DOC :

but these are not the same medicines

911DOC :

sorry about that

911DOC :

doesn't look like MDSAVe has pristiq

Customer:

no, no problem, thank you for the information.

911DOC :

no problem... stand by one second

911DOC :

tried drugstore.com

911DOC :

they don't have it either

911DOC :

one question before we wrap up

911DOC :

is the pristiq something that has been tried by your husband and has worked?

911DOC :

or was it the first medicine they put him on?

Customer:

It has been tried by my husband for some time now and works very well. He has been on other medications which havent worked.

Customer:

His new doctor prescribed Pristiq in March for the first time.

911DOC :

I see, so he needs to be on that exact medicine. one thing I would try if I were you would be to ask your pharmacist if HE or SHE has any recommendations for cheaper medicines online.

911DOC :

often the major pharmacies have a mail order option which is cheaper

911DOC :

make sense?

Customer:

I see...of course, I should ask his doctor.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful.

911DOC :

good

Customer:

I appreciate your time and advice.

911DOC :

have a great evening, and if this has been a good answer please consider leaving positive feedback.

911DOC :

I am on this site most days.

911DOC :

be well and good luck1

911DOC :

!

911DOC :

typo

911DOC :

best

Customer:

Yes, of course. Thank you very, very much and you have a great evening too!

911DOC :

;)

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician
Expert:  911DOC replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to find a good online pharmacy?

best
911doc