Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Healthy 45 yo woman with low grade fever for 6 day and chest

Healthy 45 yo woman with low grade fever for 6 day and chest congestion since day 3. Highest fever was 101.5. Was on antibiotics for seven days ending on day 3, these were for minor skin excision that appears to be healing fine (no pain, redness or discharge from the site). Is this just a slow moving virus?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have other symptoms like phlegm, nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, cough etc?

Customer: Definitely cough and phlegm, I have a very productive cough and can feel congestion in my chest. My nasal passages seem clear, I haven't had to blow my nose and can breathe comfortably through my nose.
Dr. Hasan :

What is color of the phlegm?

Customer: Clear or very light yellow, but mostly clear.
Dr. Hasan :

Do you have body aches and are you feeling better than before?

Customer: I have felt consistently weak and achy all over and feel about about the same level of misery each day. I did have trouble sleeping except for last night.
Dr. Hasan :

Which antibiotic you were on?

Customer: Cephalexin
Dr. Hasan :

Any other sympXXXXX XXXXXke shortness of breath etc?

Customer: Nope
Dr. Hasan :

What are your other diagnosed medical problems?

Customer: Nothing other then a superficial skin cancer I had taken off my arm 9 days ago. I do have seasonal allergies, but I haven't had any itchy eye or runny nose symptoms.
Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Dr. Hasan :

There is a possibility of this infection to be bacterial because in case of vial infection, you should be getting better by now.

Dr. Hasan :

Since you are having the persistent problem for last days, it is likely to be bacterial.

Dr. Hasan :

Fever above 101 is considered high grade.

Dr. Hasan :

You did have a reading of high grade fever.

Dr. Hasan :

The point is this that what you should do now?

Dr. Hasan :

Since you are not getting better, you should visit your doctor for an evaluation irrespective of the fact that it is viral or bacterial.

Dr. Hasan :

because even if it is viral, you need to get an evaluation because viral infections can easily turn into bacterial pneumonia so early intervention can help you to avoid this.

Customer: I had thought the antibiotic would have meant this wasn't bacterial, is that not necessarily true?
Dr. Hasan :

It might be bacterial from the start but the insufficient doses of antibiotics might have suppressed it but has not cured it.

Dr. Hasan :

No it is not necessarily true.

Customer: How many days does it normally take for viral colds to progress?
Dr. Hasan :

viral colds are usually worse in initial 3 t 4 days and by the 7th day, the symptoms start getting better.

Customer: Ok, thanks for your advice
Dr. Hasan :

Since you are otherwise a person with god immunity (with no diagnosed medical problem), you should have been better by now. So i suggest you to get it checked.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome, I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

Good immunity i mean

Customer: yes I will, I was on the fence but will now go
Customer: got it thanks
Dr. Hasan :

My best wishes and prayers will be with you :)

Customer: thanks that is all I need now
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery