Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Two nights ago I had a terrible itching spell - I think it

Two nights ago I had a terrible itching spell - I think it was possibly a reaction to a live probiotic my doctor recommended. During this spell, I scratched and scratched and scratched (mostly my arms and neck, a little on my legs.) yesterday morning, I could not get out of bed ... the pain was unbelievable! I was barely able to bend my knees, could not turn my head nor lift my arms.

Since the muscles affected were also the same areas I was scratching, I am wondering if they're somehow related. The ER doc said I probably "just have a virus" because my SED rate was elevated ... but, it seems too coincidental to me. Could scratching that much cause some type of physiological reaction that would affect my muscles/joints? I am on Day Two and am still in a lot of pain. Actually, I feel as if I've been in a car wreck!
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Trish,

No. Scratching, even scratching a lot, should not cause any reaction that would affect your muscles. Perhaps is part of the reaction to the probiotic.

I would just try to take it easy for today. Maybe even soak in a hot bath for a bit.

If things are not better by tomorrow I suggest you consult your regular doctor.

That being said, from what you have posted, I believe you will be OK

Does this make sense to you?