Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS

Hi, My son is 14 yrs old, 50 (153 cm) and his bone age is

My son is 14 yrs old, 5'0 (153 cm) and his bone age is also 14. I have been told that he is still in tanner stage 2 (about 2.8). We've done tests and growth hormone is fine but testosterone slightly low for his age. Doctor said we could give a booster shot of testosterone to speed things up. Is that safe? Or should we just let him be and let his body take its time? Father is 6'2 mother is 5'3.

Thanks for using just answer.

What is his stretch penile length? If your doctor measures it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

6 cm

OK and thanks for your input.

His stretch penile length is also low. In the current scenario with low testosterone levels one or two 3-month courses of monthly intramuscular injections of testosterone can help him. Side effects always can occur but are not common. In our pediatric practice we often use testosterone.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But wouldn't the testosterone shots close the growth plates? He is already on the shorter side. And if he does take the shots, would that mean that his body will become dependent on the shots or would his body be capable of making its own testosterone?

What happens if we don't give him the shots? What can we expect?

If we do give the shots, what can we expect in terms of growth?

Answer to your questions one by one.....

1) Testosterone does not close the growth plates. Its estrogen, present in both male and female closes the growth plates.

2)He will not become dependent after testosterone shots.

3) It will not effect his growth much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And if he doesn't take the shots? Will puberty kick in on its own? Will it be just a matter of time?

Just want to make sure I/m taking the right decision for him

I understands your concerns.

Well, honestly this is very difficult to predict. However it can be delayed a bit with low testosterone levels.