Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

I am a man. I just tested positive for HSV1. Several months

I am a gay man. I just tested positive for HSV1. Several months ago I had a rash of small blisters on my thighs. I thought they were shingles, but I had no pain, fever, or illness. Now I think it was genital herpes. But I tested negative for HSV2.
Did I have / Do I have genital herpes, even though I tested negative for HSV2?
Will my boyfriend contract genital herpes from me -- or will it be HSV1 (oral herpes)?
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Almost every adult has been exposed to HSV1 by the time they are teenagers.

Since your lesions seem to be from HSV1, and you have no clinical or serological evidence of HSV2 I do not believe you need to worry that your boyfriend will catch it from you -- as you don't have HSV2 genital herpes. Although, remember, tests are not 110% accurate.....but, I'd not worry...

If he has not already been exposed to HSV1 he might catch that from you, but probably not

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS