Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Hello i havnt asked a question in a while so i thought i would

Hello i havnt asked a question in a while so i thought i would get some feed back again for what is my daily struggle with un diagnosed nerve pain . i just want another opinion on what could be causing it and what can be done to cope with it. On the outside i apear very healthy 48 yr old male work out moderately 5 days per week and i eat right also about the same 5 days and splurge on weekend. I take vitimins etcdo all i can to get rest drink water every possible thing i can do i do because i want to be active and i want to still live life to its fullest. Two years ago it started in just my left hand it came on strong in fact so strong i thought i had bone pain it then moved to my right hand and eventually both feet. the pain would be so unbearable that nothing over the counter would make it feel better . i thought i had RA was sent to a ruematoligist but all test came back negative. for the first year i had nothng for the pain each day i would wake up in pain soak my hands in hot water 3 times a day . Then about a year ago was put on gapapentin ok so it helped if you comare the pain i have now to the pain back before i started taking it but non the less the still pain is a daily part of mu life. the gab brings it down a level or two i dont have to soak my hands daily. so then the syptoms start in my face and at first again it starts with very sharp strikes in my face that were off the chart painful after that it calms down again and right now heres what im dealing with . daily pain in hands and feet and face . the face pain bothers me the most not that its really painful anymore but its like right behind my eye then and my brow and my nose again not sharp like when it first started but still very unpredictable at times i feel like im wining some days i will even start to think im getting better only to wake up out of the blue in pain . I never go a full day painless but some days are very manageable . so the good news is it doesnt seem to be in a progressive state anymore but then again winter has not started yet either and i am not sure how things will go but im cautiously optimistic . So i forgot to mention i had an MRI on my brain been to a nero surgeon who really doesnt seem to be interested in my problem because none of the sevral test show anything emg tests blood test nothing shows anything !!! on the outside looking in at myself there is nothing wrong but living in this body is a daily challenge . i should also state that i stay away from alcohol as much as possible and if i do drink and start to have a good time if i drink only 4 beers i pay the price for the next two days . Just a side note. so what do i do. I have thought about a small nerve test of some kind but the nero says this wouldnt helo or change the treatment at all as we would still just be treating only the symptoms . would it help to confirm this is nerve pain or ?? . Do i have some unknown auto immune disease some unknown virus ? could stress cause this alone ? what can i do. if i stay in my current state and dont get worse i can cope just dont want to get worse and eventually if possible get whole again thanks for your help and do not feel like you have to be held to your response i will not hold you accountable for any wrong answer i am just looking for ideas from a profesional
Hi. My name isXXXXX and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS