Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My doctor has prescribed some medication s for me, as I was

Customer Question

My doctor has prescribed some medication s for me, as I was unable to bear the pain
from the Sceliotherapy injections. I had to stop the procedure due to unbearable pain.

My doctor has prescribed two medicines that he says will help alleviate the sever
pain I felt - not from the needle piercing my skin - but the pain as he injected some
thing into the vein to cause it to collapse.

Will the drugs he prescribed make the injections tolerable - or not.
l. Lidocaine 5% - I have been instructed to rub it onto the areas I want him to work on,
and apply 30 minutes before I come in - AND wrap my legs in SARAN WRAP, and then
put on my clothing.
2. Xanax - I have been instructed to take TWO 25 mg. tablets 30 minutes before I
come in to my appointment.,
IF THESE DRUGS WILL NOT ALLEVIATE THE SEVERE PAIN I FELT AT THE FIRST SESSION,
I'd prefer to live with my unsightly SPIDER VEINS than to ever endure that horrific
pain ever again. Thank you for your HONEST response.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Customer :

No you cannot assist me today. I want to receive advice from a SPECIALIST.

Dr. Rick, MD :

While these pre-treatments will not take the pain of the sclerotherapy away 100% (you would need lidocaine injected under your skin in the treatment areas or, of course, general anesthesia to do this) I believe it will go a long way toward making you a lot more comfortable.

Dr. Rick, MD :

So. What is the take home message? Do these pre-sclerotherapy treatments and I think you will find the procedure tolerable.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I am a surgeon and use topical lidocaine each and every day in my office when giving painful injections into peoples eyes. I am sure that what you have just described will help. If you can get someone to drive you to the appointment you might want to ask your doctor for some Valium as this helps a lot in my experience.

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Kim,

There are no "vein specialists" on this site today. But your issue speaks to painful procedures in general.

Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Customer : No you cannot assist me today. I want to receive advice from a SPECIALIST.
Dr. Rick, MD : While these pre-treatments will not take the pain of the sclerotherapy away 100% (you would need lidocaine injected under your skin in the treatment areas or, of course, general anesthesia to do this) I believe it will go a long way toward making you a lot more comfortable.
Dr. Rick, MD : So. What is the take home message? Do these pre-sclerotherapy treatments and I think you will find the procedure tolerable.
Dr. Rick, MD : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, MD : I am a surgeon and use topical lidocaine each and every day in my office when giving painful injections into peoples eyes. I am sure that what you have just described will help. If you can get someone to drive you to the appointment you might want to ask your doctor for some Valium as this helps a lot in my experience.
Dr. Rick, MD : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Kim,

One other housekeeping issue. I noticed that you have asked six questions on this site but only given positive feedback on two of them. As you know experts are compensated only after you give positive feedback.

If you continue to feel that the time our experts give you is not valuable I will need to report you to the moderators. We do not want to waste your time or the time of those trying their best to assist you.

Thank you and have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The Dr. Rick that uses lidocaine in his patients eyes and feels that

it will be beneficial.....he calls himself Dr. Rick, but his opinion is slightly different than Dr. Ricks original assesstment.

This caused me some confusion,.

I appreciate your time Dr. Rick, but I do not appreciate your threat

"to report me to the moderators." But you are worth a 10

Kim Jordan

Kim,

I'm the same Dr. Rick

And it was not a threat, just an observation and a reminder of how important feedback from customers is on this site.

Let me know how your next session of sclerotherapy goes...I bet it will be tolerable this time.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Have a good weekend,

Dr. Rick MD FACS