Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I have recently just got over a sore throat that lasted 12

I have recently just got over a sore throat that lasted 12 days but it was only on the left side of my throat. Also at the same time I was on antibiotics for a sinus infection. Thankfully this seems to have cleared up but I still have a persistant septic type taste towards the back of my mouth. Any info would help thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 months ago.

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Dr. Hasan :

Which antibiotic you were on?

Dr. Hasan :

Is that a metallic taste or acidic taste?

Dr. Hasan :

Do you have to clear your throat again and again?

Customer:

It tastes more metalic than anything

Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan :

Which antibiotic you were on?

Dr. Hasan :

you there?

Customer:

Doxycycline

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

There can be two causes for this taste.

Customer:

Yes, feels like I need to clear catarh away but its clear and not much there

Dr. Hasan :

This can be a side effect of the antibiotic you took or can be due to your sinus secretions trickling down the throat to make you feel this.

Dr. Hasan :

Point is what you need to do.

Dr. Hasan :

Drink lots of water.

Dr. Hasan :

If it is a side effect of medicine, it will go away in few days.

Customer:

Not sure because I dont feel the sinus pain anymore plus I finished antibiotics a week ago

Dr. Hasan :

If it persist, see your doctor so that he assess your sinuses for any residual infection.

Dr. Hasan :

You are having this taste for last how many days?

Dr. Hasan :

Was it there while you were about to finish your antibiotics?

Customer:

Ok thanks but not much faith in doctor lol thats why I tried this.

Dr. Hasan :

No problem.

Dr. Hasan :

I understand.

Dr. Hasan :

Irrespective of the cause, drink more fluids and eat yogurt as a pro biotic.

Dr. Hasan :

This is all you need to do.

Dr. Hasan :

There is nothing serious associated here.

Customer:

No the taste has been for about 4 days it was afterg uf i

Dr. Hasan :

Yes sinus infection can be there in the absence of any pain and sometime this taste can be the only symptom.

Customer:

Sorry meant to type taste was after tablets and been there 3 day

Dr. Hasan :

We don't have any mean to assess the cause but these are few causes that i have mentioned. Nothing else is possible.

Customer:

Ok thanks for your time

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome, I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

Regards

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.