Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

my doctor says i have a fistula which is causing a

my doctor says i have a vaginal fistula which is causing a lot of watery discharge but it is not urine or feces (I have no colon or rectum...ileostomy) What is this liquid and where could it be coming from. No infection or other symptoms.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question

Do you still have the residual of a rectum?

Do you have an opening there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No rectum. sewed shut

Is there a blind pouch there?

The reason why I'm asking is because even if the they take the colon out there can be some residual tissue

This tissue makes watery fluid just like the normal colon

This can form a fistula

is that possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no opening at all anymore. Plus there is a gush of this fluid periodically... would there be that much from a "pouch"?

Yes, I think there would be

The opening is gone and the colon is gone but there is always some small residual tissue.

What happens is, they close the anus so you don't leak the fluid all the time.

That is what happens when they don't close the anus.

Normally, this fluid gets reabsorbed. But now, because of the fistula, it is getting accumulated and pushed out through the fistula.

It is just mucous. This is actually a lot better than a normal colonic fistula that contains stool and causes recurrent infections
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What kind of surgical option do I have? Just get the fistula closed off?

Yes, the fistula will need to be repaired.

you are exactly correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. You've been helpful. is there a way to save our conversation so I can reference it again?

After you rate me, you should get an email transcript of the chat.

If you don't get it, then emailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and request it.

Thanks. :)
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)