Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

For the past 4 years Ive had a small lump on my neck. One

For the past 4 years I've had a small lump on my neck.

One night 4 years ago a friend noticed a blackhead on the back of my neck and attempted to pop it but it wouldn't within a week I had a small hard lump in the same spot, that was round and about the size of a marble. It never hurt so I left it alone. It stayed the same for the last 4 years, never bothered me so I didn't mention it to anyone.

This past Friday, i put my purse across my body and felt serious pain. When i reached back the lump was still hard but about 5 times larger (the size of a golf ball) and painful. My mom checked it and said it looked irritated but that i should call the doctor. I cannot see this lump but from what I am told it is under the surface and isn't red.

Today (tuesday) its not quite golfball sized but still larger than usual and hurts more than ever. My doctors appointment isnt for a few more days. I've had 2 cysts removed a long time ago and thats what my mother is assuming it is.

Is this something i really need to be concerned about? My father passed away 8 years ago from Lymphoma Non-Hodgkins Cancer and it's always been a concern of mine.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Customer:

For the past 4 years I've had a small lump on my neck. One night 4 years ago a friend noticed a blackhead on the back of my neck and attempted to pop it but it wouldn't within a week I had a small hard lump in the same spot, that was round and about the size of a marble. It never hurt so I left it alone. It stayed the same for the last 4 years, never bothered me so I didn't mention it to anyone. This past Friday, i put my purse across my body and felt serious pain. When i reached back the lump was still hard but about 5 times larger (the size of a golf ball) and painful. My mom checked it and said it looked irritated but that i should call the doctor. I cannot see this lump but from what I am told it is under the surface and isn't red. Today (tuesday) its not quite golfball sized but still larger than usual and hurts more than ever. My doctors appointment isnt for a few more days. I've had 2 cysts removed a long time ago and thats what my mother is assuming it is. Is this something i really need to be concerned about? My father passed away 8 years ago from Lymphoma Non-Hodgkins Cancer and it's always been a concern of mine.

Dr. Rick, MD :

From what you have posted I do not believe that this bump on the back of your neck is a sign of Non Hodgkins lymphoma.....I do not feel you have to worry about this.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Most likely, as your mom said, this is a lipoma that may have become slightly infected.

Dr. Rick, MD :

While it is probably not an emergency, it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask to be seen sooner then two days from now. I'd give your doctor a call and see if there has been any cancellations you can get use...

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, MD :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Kaitlynn,

Dr. Rick, MD says:
8:38 AM
8:39 AM Customerhas entered this chat!
8:39 AM Customerhas stepped out of this chat. Customersays:
8:39 AM
Dr. Rick, MD says:
8:39 AM
8:40 AM
8:41 AM
8:41 AM
Does this make sense to you?
8:41 AM

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS