911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

Im allergic to Hydrocodone. What pain meds can I take that

I'm allergic to Hydrocodone. What pain meds can I take that do not have this in them? I'm not familiar with pain meds and my family doc said that's all he could proscribe so I'm in a bind and need some help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 9 months ago.

911DOC :

what happens when you take hydrocodone?

911DOC :

what is the reaction you get?

911DOC :

standing by

Customer: I itch like crazy and get red spots all over my face. I've taken other pain meds that work but my family doc can't prescribe them So I'm at a loss of what to do. He gave me Trezix and if does nothing.
911DOC :

okay, so that sounds like a true allergy

911DOC :

often people who can not tolerate hydrocodone CAN tolerate oxycodone

911DOC :

this is commonly prescribed as percocet

911DOC :

the brand name for oxycodone and Tylenol combo

911DOC :

trezix has codeine in it and many people do not have a favorable response to this

911DOC :

ultram, aka 'tramadol' is also a possible alternative

911DOC :

it is a synthetic mimic of the pain medicine class and you could likely take this no problem

Customer: I've taken percocet and that works, I've also taken dilaudid and that works but I don't know how to get these without being in the hospital.
911DOC :

morphine is also prescribed for pain

911DOC :

percocet is commonly prescribed for moderate pain and can be prescribed by a primary care physician and filled at most any pharmacy

911DOC :

what is causing your pain?

911DOC :

what is your diagnosis?

Customer: Horrible migraines. My fam doc said he couldn't prescribe percocet. Hum
911DOC :

opiates are not good medicines for migraine headaches

911DOC :

people tend to become addicted over time

911DOC :

and that's likely what your doctor is concerned about

911DOC :

in my ER we will not give them anymore for migraines

Customer: oh ok - that makes since.
911DOC :

do you have a neurologist?

Customer: No. Just fam doctor.
911DOC :

how often do you get these headaches?

911DOC :

and do you miss work because of them?

Customer: I REALLY don't want to get addicted to anything but man these are horrible
Customer: Im a stay at home mom so I can't really miss work. But I can see when I get these and at my ER they have me delaudid and it disappeared so fast!
911DOC :

why haven't you seen a neurologist yet?

Customer: Cant see- sorry
911DOC :

you can't see the computer

Customer: i had one at the ER but. That's it.
Customer: No I meant I can't see when I get the headaches
911DOC :

you need a neurologist

911DOC :

have you been on maxalt? sumatriptan? other migraine meds?

Customer: why hasn't my fam doc said that? He put me on imitrix
Customer: wrong spelling
Customer: but it does nothing
911DOC :

there are many other medicines to try to get your headaches under control

911DOC :

a neurologist is what you need

911DOC :

I would ask for a referral or simply call a neurologist and set an appointment yourself

Customer: ok- I'll ask about one
911DOC :

it's possible that these are not true migraines

Customer: i like referral better then just picking one out of the blue
911DOC :

and if that is so your neurologist can make the right diagnosis and get you on the right medicines to either stop the headaches or keep them from starting in the first place

911DOC :

I agree with that

Customer: Ok that would be a dream come true!
Customer: That would be awesome!
911DOC :

that's exactly what you need to tell your doctor AND the neurologist.... 'doctor, it would be a dream come true if you could help me to get rid of these headaches without narcotics'....

Customer: Can a Neuro prescribe pain meds if needed?
911DOC :

doctors are getting in trouble with the FDA for narcotic prescribing, and there is much abuse of the system, so making it clear that YOU don't want that, but you DO want the headaches gone will go a long way to getting the doctors to work hard to do just that.

911DOC :

and yes

911DOC :

the neurologist CAN prescribe them

911DOC :

but they will try everything they can to avoid it

Customer: Thank you. Are you in tx?
911DOC :

no ma'am, TN.

Customer: Well thank you so much for the help'! I. Feel like a moron for not going to one sooner!!
911DOC :

no you are not a moron... you are caught in a broken system... in the meantime take a look at the following link... it will be helpful to you

911DOC :

stand by

Customer: Pain meds are the last thing I want if there is something else that will make it go away with making me feel strange!
911DOC :

good

911DOC :

that's where the neurologist comes in

911DOC :

do you have any final questions about this for me?

Customer: my uncle worked at the mayo
911DOC :

good

911DOC :

it's a good source for info... written for patients and not doctors

Customer: nope! Thanks!!
911DOC :

great

911DOC :

hope you get a good consult from a good neurologist and get this problem taken care of

911DOC :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician