Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 39 years old male. Good health overall. I have been sick

I am 39 years old male. Good health overall. I have been sick since about mid August. First time was fever, very sore throat, very swollen lymph nodes, body aches, chilles. Given antibiotics. I got over it for about a week then got sick again. Coughing, green thick mucus at beginning, clear slimy mucus not. Coughing comes and goes. Body temp get slightly hot or cold but no fever. Can sleep some nights well but others night can't sleep at all. Some fatigue. I have gone to the doctor twice was given nose spray and different antobiotics. Still no improvement. Doctor said it was probably allergies on the second visit and gave me nasal rinse. I haven't never had serve allerigies accept when mold is around and I have neever been sick this long and I am concerned.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Which antibiotics were prescribed?
Does it seem like you are having drainage that is causing the cough?
Or does it seem like the mucus is being coughed up from the chest?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Levaquin and I'm not sure on the second antibiotic. I do have have drainage a lot but just in my throat, nose is fine. Mucus feels like it comes from my chest sometimes, about an hour after I wake up it really does.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Thank you for the additional information.

Your doctor is correct that it is most likely that the original infection has precipitated some allergic inflammation. However, it is also possible that this inflammation has extended into the chest, causing an allergic bronchitis. This would be particularly true if the mucus is coming from the chest, rather than draining from the upper airways.

There are some other possibilities to consider with the symptoms that you describe. There are some rare viral infections that can last for several months. There are also some non-allergic forms of inflammation, such as vasomotor inflammation. It is also possible that the cough and mucus is due to irritation from acid reflux. Although most people with acid reflux will have heartburn as the primary symptoms, there are some people in whom the only symptoms are related to irritation of the airways, so can cause mucus production, cough, or shortness of breath.

Since allergies are the most likely, it would be reasonable to consider the use of a steroid inhaler addition to the steroid nose spray. In people with more significant symptoms, it also would be appropriate to consider systemic steroids, such as oral prednisone. All of these options are only available by prescription, so would need to be discussed with your doctor.

Of the other possible conditions, the only condition that can be well managed with an over the counter medicine is the acid reflux, which will usually respond well to medicines that suppress the release of stomach acid, such as Prilosec or Prevacid. Therefore, even though it is not the most likely cause of your symptoms, it is an option to try the medicines that can be easily obtained.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. You answer was helpful. I never knew about the acid reflux. I have had problems with that in the past but no stomach problems with this.

If you have a history of acid reflux, that does increase the possibility that these symptoms are due to acid reflux, so it would be reasonable to try one of the acid suppression medicines to see if the symptoms improve.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor