Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Hello there, Ive been reading about torsion

Hello there,

I've been reading about testicular torsion lately on the internet, and now I've noticed that my testes sometimes are in a weird positions (180 degree turn at the max). They do go back to their normal position, but I cannot help but wonder if I have the Bell Clapper deformity. They don't ever turn any farther than 180. Sorry for the stupid question, it will just help ease my worries or tell me if I need to go to the doctor for a fix.

It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you having any symptoms, such as pain or tenderness?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not at this time sir. Though I think I grew slightly tender at a thorough exam.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it normal for testicles to be able to turn that amount? Or are they supposed to be firmly fixed to the scrotal wall?

Thank you for the additional information.

If you are not having any pain or significant tenderness, then there is no need for you to be seen.

Without being able to examine you, it is difficult to say whether you have a Bell Clapper deformity. Having mobile testes alone would not be indicative of the deformity (as some men have more mobility than others), but if the testes are typically lying in a horizontal orientation when not being mobile, then that would be more suspicious for a Bell Clapper deformity. However, even if you have a Bell Clapper deformity, there is no need to be seen without symptoms. Although the Bell Clapper deformity does increase the risk for testicular torsion, the vast majority of men with a Bell Clapper deformity does not develop testicular torsion.

If it is important to you to know with greater certainty whether you have a Bell Clapper deformity, then it would be appropriate to be seen. But otherwise, there is no need to be seen for the testicular mobility that you describe if no symptoms are present.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you very much for this reply, I just want to know one last thing. Is the appendix testes (I think that is what it is called) supposed to be tactile? I have a miniscule yet rather hard grain sized bump where the cord connects onto the testicle.

Most men cannot feel their testicular appendix, but it can be more prominent in some men, so may be able to be felt in these men.