Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Short survey (3 questions) for Grad School Assignment

Hi I was wondering if there a doctor that help my with a graduate school assignment. I need to survey a physician regarding their experience with electronic health records. I would like to know what type of EHR you use, if it has the abitlity to map  S?OMED codes to ICD- 9 codes and if you have not implemented  an EHR at your healthcare practice or facility why not

Here are the questions: S rvey a physician to find out if they:

1) use an EHR,

2) have an EHR that maps SNOMED codes to ICD-9-CM,

3) have not quite implemented their EHR and the reasons why.

Be sure to highlight in your discussion the physician’s general opinion about using various classification systems and which ones they prefer and commonly use. Also, does EHR use streamline their process for identifying the appropriate code(s)?

Please, I need an answer for this assignment today. Thank you.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today? The Packers game is on right now but, if we can do some now during half time and finish up after the game, if that would work for you.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Let me answer some of your questions:

Dr. Rick, MD :

1. Yes, we do use an EHR

Dr. Rick, MD :

2. If it uses snomed I don't know now to use it. I just manually look up the ICD 9 codes or my staff does it.

Dr. Rick, MD :

We use Centricity, I think it is put out by GE

Dr. Rick, MD :

3. We are fully implemented. I no longer write extra consultation letters, fill out Rx etc. It was a bitch to learn but now I love it.

Dr. Rick, MD :

I cannot see anything that you are typing. Our chat system may not be working well at the moment. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Customer:

I just have 1 more question

Dr. Rick, MD :

ok...shoot....even though the game has started ;)

Customer:

This class is about medical classification and coding systems. Which classification or coding system do you commonly use or prefer?

Customer:

Does centricity streamline the process for medical coding in your practice?

Dr. Rick, MD :

We use ICD-9.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Yes, I do believe it does speed things up as it only has to be entered once, then is used on all billing, correspondence, put in the medical records etc. Also, as a retina surgeon, I draw pictures for the chart and I can easily do that with this system.

Customer:

And if you could give me a little background about your practice , I think that would wrap it up :)

Dr. Rick, MD :

I, of course, do not do any billing......

Customer:

I understand... the assignment specified to ask a physician

Dr. Rick, MD :

I am a two physician consultation practice specializing in Diseases of the Retina & Vitreous. 90% of our patients are referred by other doctors so we are always sending out letters to these physicians. I find that ERM has greatly reduced the amount of work doing this. As a matter of fact 10 years ago I did enough dictation to keep two transcribers busy. Now, with centricity I no longer do any dictation at all.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does that cover it?

Customer:

I think so. Thank you!

Dr. Rick, MD :

At least I can hear the play by play and my wife and daughters yelling at the TV from my home office....I hope you appreciate the sacrifice I am taking to make sure your homework is ontime lol!

Dr. Rick, MD :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

I do!

Dr. Rick, MD :

Go Pack GO!

Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.