Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

my testosterone is 281 at 37 years old im extremely worried

my testosterone is 281 at 37 years old im extremely worried as i have very little libido and am gaining weight rapidly lack of energy is also a big problem .will testerone treatment help or should i seek further consultation ?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will e glad to assist you today.

A testosterone level that is<300 is the threshold for consideration of treatment by testosterone replacement according to several guidelines addressing treatment of low testosterone.

However, it is also recognized that a single measurement of testosterone can be misleading, so the guidelines also discuss either rechecking the testosterone using a specimen collected in the morning or to measure the amount of free testosterone. Much of the testosterone is bound to protein, and measuring the free testosterone measures the active form of the hormone.

But, if the repeated labs continue to show that the testosterone remains slightly low, then it would be appropriate to perform testosterone replacement, which would usually help improve libido, erectile dysfunction, and energy levels.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.