Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified.

My daughter has been complaining of itchiness around her anus and vagina. I have had her put a&d ointment on the anal area and monistat anti itch on her vaginal area. Both help to ease the itch. It will be fine for a day or so and then return. She says it doesn't hurt when she urinates, and there are no other symptoms, yet it's been happening on and off for a few weeks. She does sweat a lot bc she is a runner, and she does get her period quite regularly for the past two years ( she is 12 ). I haven't changed any detergents. In fact, I use tide free and clear bc her skin has been sensitive in the past. Any suggestions? Also, as much as I feel crazy having to say this, she is NOT sexually active.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Your daughter could have pinworms which are common in children. They are treated with a prescription from your Dr. You can do a simple test at home and put a piece of tape on the anal area first thing in the morning and check for worms. Its best to be checked by a Dr.

She may also have lichen sclerosis, a skin condition common in kids. This can sometimes be diagnosed by exam. It is treated with a prescription steroid cream.

She may just have irritation. Be sure she is washing well with a mild soap like Dove. Continue to use the A and D also.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would you recommend seeing a dr tomorrow?
Yes I would. Its hard to make this diagnosis on your own. And you have already tried some home remedies.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Last do drs diagnose pinworms? Lichen sclerosis?
Pinworms are diagnosed by the tape test done early in the morning or late at night to find the eggs or worms. The stool can also be examined for worms. Lichen sclerosis can be diagnosed by an exam, sometimes a very small biopsy is needed. Thank you for your payment.