Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have back surgery scheduled in a week but I have allergies

I have back surgery scheduled in a week but I have allergies causing sinus drainage but no fever. Is there any problem with me proceeding with the surgery?
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you could have a viral or bacterial sinus infection

you need to see your doctor about it and see if you need to get on a course of antibiotics prior to the back surgery.

it would be best to get a bacterial sinus infection treated or at least treatment started before the surgery rather than have it active during a major surgical procedure.

can you call your primary care doctor next week to get assessed for for your sinus drainage and see if you need a course of antibiotics?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already taken 10 days of Baxoxin antibotics and 5 days of steroids. I have no fever and feeling better but I still have drainage from allergies (I presume) and would like to know if it is safe to proceed with surgery.

good, I am glad you have been treated with antibiotics.

if the drainage is just from allergies, yes it is safe to proceed with back surgery

you can try some benadryl or over the counter allergy medications over the next few days like allegra or claritin to see if this helps your runny nose.

but it is safe to proceed with back surgery

best of luck to you

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Hi
I was following your question.
What surgery are you having exactly? Are you going to have general anesthesia or spinal anesthesia? Because that will make a difference
This is Dr. David

back surgery is almost always done with general anesthesia

and if you have some mild sinus drainage from allergies, this will be fine with general anesthesia.

have you tried any over the counter allergy medications
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Hi
I have to go offline.

It depends on your surgery. If you have general anesthesia if may be difficult to ventilate you because of the secretions. As well, allergy medications can interfere with the anesthesia medications.
You should talk to your anesthesiologist right away.

If you are having spinal anesthesia- which is a needle in the back- then it should be no problem

But make sure that you tell your surgeon and your anesthesiologist right away before taking any more over the counter medications.

I hope that this helped

please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
This is Dr. David

how much sinus drainage are you having?

have you tried any over the counter medications for allergies?