Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I take 4 mgs of Clonazepam each day. I hardly ever drink but

I take 4 mgs of Clonazepam each day. I hardly ever drink but for some reason had a 1/2 pint of vodka. I am supposed to take 1mg before bed.
Should I take it. I also am supposed to take Lipitor and gabatenin. Should
I take any medication tonight? Am I in danger?
Thank you,
Alan
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
What is the problem for which you are taking the gabapentin?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

bipolar...light case

It is better to avoid drinking alcohol while taking the clonazepam or the gabapentin. Taking alcohol with either of these medicines will increase the risk for side effects, such as dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty with memory, or confusion. It is not dangerous from the perspective of any serious risk of being life threatening, but it is a matter of perspective whether the risk of the above symptoms would be considered dangerous.

Since you have already taken the alcohol, it would be better to avoid the drugs until the alcohol gets out of your system. The primary concern with missing a dose would be the potential symptoms of whatever underlying disease is being treated, which is why I asked for that information. If the gabapentin is being used for a light case of bipolar disease, then missing or delaying one dose of gabapentin would not be a significant risk, so there would not be a significant risk associated with avoiding these medicines until the alcohol is out of your system.

If the underlying condition were a greater concern, then it may be necessary to accept the risk of the potential symptoms, but from your description, it does not sound like there would be a significant risk.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your opinion I am not in danger?

You are not in danger of any significant life threatening condition, but there is the risk for the symptoms noted above.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor