Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I started taking Levofloxacinon 9/20 at 500mg for 10 days (1

I started taking Levofloxacinon 9/20 at 500mg for 10 days (1 pill a day) for a spot that was found on the left side of my lung. By day 3 and 4 I suffered some tightness from my calves to my ankles, but didn't think anything of it because my chest was feeling better. On 9/22 I got a massage and the therapist notice how tight the left side of my body felt. I was a bit sore, but I took that as a side effect of the massage. By 9/29 (the last day of my medication) the tightness in my legs especially my ankles (tendons) hurt quite a bit. I also have been going out of diaharrea and solid stools, blood appeared when I wiped but have now disappeared. Other things I have noticed are very cold feet (that won't go away), twitches all over my body (but mostly in my back shoulder, calves, ankles, and thighs), fevers that come and go, sweating when I sleep, and crazy dreams. If I have tendon issues its usually under my knee after I have moved for a while. What should I do to feel better? TY
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you should talk to your doctor about these side effects

levofloxacin has a small risks for causing tendon rupture which is rare, but can happen in a small percentage of patients.

if you have been having diarrhea, you need your stools checked for clostridium difficile toxin which can be caused by antibiotics like levofloxacin

now that you are off of the antibiotic, you shouldn't be at further risks for tendon rupture.

but you could still have c diff infection of the bowels

are you still having diarrhea?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The diarrhea has been on and off. I had a really bad diarrhea moment last night. Not sure if it was due to the Magnesium Chloride or not. However , the magnesium seem to clear my head and twitching was less. No weird dreams or sweating. Just annoyed and depresed by the way I feel.

you should see a doctor and get blood testing to check your potassium levels which could be low and can cause muscle twitching as well. low potassium can be caused by diarrhea.

you should also get your magnesium levels checked before continuing on with magnesium supplementation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr. David,

I went to see another doctor last week. He was much better than the first. We spoke for 90 minutes about my issues. He requested for some stool sample tests, and more blood work.

I am now taking my One a Day Vitamin, with B12, Vitamin D, Coconut Water Electrolyte drink, and a Probiatic pill for my on going stomach diahrrea.

My dehydration has been quite high since taking the antibiotic and the diahrrea hasn't stopped. Sometimes I get semi solid stools, but then everything after turns to water.

To me it seems like most of my suffering is coming from this dehydration (light headed, always thirsty,weak muscles, twitching, cold feet, etc..)

So to me this antibiotic did something to my stomach and caused my tendons to burn in my ankle, calf, and under knee areas.

Its all annoying and I hope it goes away eventually.

Yes I hope your symptoms get better

I'm glad you found a better doctor.

Thanks for the update. Let me know if you have other questions.