Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I feel overall well and healthy. I recently had a chest X ray

I feel overall well and healthy. I recently had a chest X ray which was clear and the Dr listened to my chest . The negative symptoms I am experiencing is a minor cough occasionally when I breath in, it feels like a tickle in back of throat , May be 5 or 6 times a day which then produces a minor cough not a hacking cough. Also , it sometimes feels like mucous is in the back of my throat , at times but not right now. I do not have a sore throat and no major difficulty swallowing. This has been going on for a couple of months. I am not taking any medications.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
I assume that there was no abnormal findings when the doctor listened to your chest, correct?
Are you having any shortness of breath with exertion?
What did the doctor diagnose after the examination?
Which cough medicine have you been taking?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Correct , no abnormal findings no shortness of breath. The symptoms were so minor when I was there that there was no diagnosis . I did not cough at all during the examination, so it was hard to explain. Only occasionally do I take Robitussan , maybe once or twice a week. Right now I feel it primarily in back of throat. If I breathe in deeply maybe I cough once but it's like a clearing cough and when I breathe in the second time there is no cough . I would not be normally concerned except it's been like this for a couple of months.

Thank you for the additional information.

It is good that both the chest x-ray and examination were normal, as that would exclude the more serious concerns, such as certain chronic infections.

The most likely cause of a persistent minor cough is an allergy, which can cause inflammation of the upper or lower airways. Since the cough is exacerbated when breathing in, that would suggest some inflammation of the airways of the chest, a non-infectious form of bronchitis.

It is also possible to develop a chronic bronchitis due to irritation of the airways, most often from cigarette smoke. However, people with chronic bronchitis from cigarettes would usually have some degree of shortness of breath with exertion, and the problem will usually have been a problem for longer than a couple months. The clinical definition of chronic bronchitis is that it causes symptoms for three months out of the year for two consecutive years.

At this point, it would be reasonable to first try an over the counter antihistamine, such as Claritin or Zyrtec, to see if it eases the symptom. If this is ineffective, then the next consideration would be a steroid inhaler, such as Flovent.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX D similar to Claritan ?

The plain Allegra is an antihistamine, so is similar to the Claritin. The Allegra D is combined with a decongestant, so would be comparable to Claritin D. If you are only having the small level of mucus, as you describe, it would generally not be necessary to include a decongestant, so using the plain Allegra or Claritin would be reasonable. If you already have Allegra D in your home, it would be OK to use the Allegra D; the only issue would be the potential side effects from the decongestant which is generally very well tolerated, but can cause jitteriness, rapid heart rate, or increased blood pressure in some people.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.