Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Hi, after multiple testing for Abd. pain and other problems

Hi, after multiple testing for Abd. pain and other problems they ordered HIDA scan. It came back with an EF of .08. I am scheduled for Surgery on the 17th. What causes that low of an gallbladder EF?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

as you get older, sometimes the gall bladder is less efficient in ejecting out bile.

bile is very thick and and so thicker bile can make it hard for your gall bladder to eject out proper amounts.

this is one of those things which can happen with age.

I am glad you are scheduled to have your gall bladder removed. I hope this helps your sitaution

let me know if you have other questions.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

What causes the thick bile? What can I do for that. I understand my bile will continue to flow. I don't want to have more problems. My GI doctor didn't explain anything, he just had his assistant set me up with the surgeon. The Surgeon just told me what he was going to do and what time to show up. What can I do to help myself feel better. I'm tired of pain, diarrhea, nausea, feeling feverish.

we don't know why some people have gall bladder dysfunction.

it might be that the automatic muscles around the gall bladder are not working properly.

it could be because the bile is not flowing properly

there could be many causes of your gall bladder not functioning properly.

this gall bladder system is an automatic system and so there is not much which can be done to fix the system.

best thing to do is avoid fat in your diet, but this can be hard to do.
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.