Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My daughter is twenty-four years old. She gets sebaceous cyst

My daughter is twenty-four years old. She gets sebaceous cyst around her vagina area and upper thighs. It is leaving terrible scarring. She has been told there is nothing that can be done and it is caused from ingrown hair and shaving, but she has had this ever since she has been twelve or thirteen. There has to be a cure for this. It is painful and embarrassing. Can you PLEASE help us? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Dr. Hasan :

What are her other diagnosed medical problems?

Dr. Hasan :

Please stay in the chat to proceed.

Customer:

As far as I know she has had STD-vaginal warts. Has not had any for about three years.

Dr. Hasan :

Any culture test done from the vaginal area or from the area of lesions

Dr. Hasan :

Does she get this problem only after shaving?

Customer:

I am an RN, surgical. I do know the difference. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just wanted you to know. I don't believe she has ever had a culture done. She has had the vaginal warts burned off and rather deeply because she says she is very tender in that area. I can not tell you if she gets more cyst after shaving. I have never ask her that nor has she told me.

Dr. Hasan :

It's ok no problem. Well in my opinion this is not something she has to live with forever. Her doctor must get a culture of the lesions specially when has that cyst. According to culture she must be put on antibiotics. In such cases antibiotics are given for long but ultimately she will get rid of this. Lastly if she only get these lesions after shaving, she must consider adopting some other method like cream to remove the hairs.

Customer:

Dr. Hasan, I have taken this up on my own. I am sure she would be horrified if she know I was doing this but I can't help but feel that something can be done even if it is taking a low dose of tetracycline or another antibiotic for short period of time. Of course, I realize at the same time, that there may be nothing that can be done. I am just hoping.

Dr. Hasan :

I understand and appreciate your concern. I have the same idea as yours that yes she must be given antibiotics for ths problem but i just want to add that antibiotic should be given after culture and sensitivity test.

Dr. Hasan :

I have seen many patients and they have responded well to antibiotics.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question that you want to ask?

Customer:

Yes Sir I do. Would you have her go back to a dermatologist, her GYN doctor, or Family Practice doctor?

Dr. Hasan :

I would prefer an infectious disease specialist.

Dr. Hasan :

However if not possible then family practice doctor or dermatologist can be contacted provided who is willing to get a culture.

Customer:

Would never have considered that. Thank you for your kindness and response.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else i can help you with?

Customer:

No sir. I just needed some guidance. Thank you again and hope you have a nice day.

Dr. Hasan :

You are always welcome. I wish all the best to both of you for a good health and happy life, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

Will click the smiley face. Goodbye

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

Goodbye

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery